Are your free AntiVir same with mine?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sweater, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am just wonderin if your version of AntiVir was also the same with mine. :D :rolleyes:

Also why is it that free version only lasts for about 3 months? o_O Unlike CA antivirus with one yr, and Avast Home that lasts a yr before renewal? :rolleyes: o_O :cautious:

Attached Files:

2. sweater

Re: Are ur free AntiVir same with mine?

Also, if we set the heuristic to high....did it really matters the difference of the memory consumption if we just set it low? :rolleyes:

AntiVir free is obviously lighter than my previously used Avast Home. My pc now responds quicker than before. But are there any more tweak we can do to make Antivir more lighter? :cautious:

Attached Files:

3. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Antivir is really one of the lightest scanners around and with everything set at the highest level, you wouldn't feel any difference in performance with the settings tweaked. This is one of the most simple 'out of the box' great AV scanners around. I have been using the 'paid' Personal Premium version and it just installs great, configures great and every soul with a computer can figure it out! Runs like silk. I really think this is a great example of how an AV scanner should be put on the market for all people. No difficult settings and a very good detection!!!!!
    This is as light as you can get it!!! ;)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

AntiVir will auto renew the license via AutoUpdate 4 weeks before expiry.
    It's even explained on your screenshot...

So basically license will be extended on 28th january 2007 (1 day more or less)...

5. extratime

extratime Registered Member

I agree it should be auto-renewed. But why have this odd system of short-term licenses?

Is it so that Avira can discontinue at any time the free version with only three months notice?

Most free AVs have one year licenses.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i find it weird that a free version has an activation date ... period.

i wouldnt use the free version though, no email scanning, that is a big mistake, and i have heard the paid isnt that much, so why take that massive risk?

7. Big Apple

The paid version isn't much? And one would take a massive risk by using that?
    Well, wonder who is taking a massive risk when using a scanner like AVG, compared to Avira Antivir!!! Come on man.....don't write this kind of nonsense!

8. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

IMHO, email scanning is overrated; as soon as you open a file in your email it will be scanned by the AV's realtime monitor just like any other file.

9. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Email scanning isn't that important as any virus would still be stopped on disk access. I use Antivir on my server though which doesn't have an email client so it's doubly irrelevant to me. Antivir's higher detection rate is more important than the lack of email scanning. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the free version lacks anti-spyware (which would be the biggest weakness).

10. Londonbeat

Yep, it doesn't have spy/adware detection, but it does detect the trojan-downloaders that install the spyware/adware without your consent.

Londonbeat

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

So, if the user only try to update after the valid period, he can not update the AV?

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

ROFL!
    Massive risk?Big mistake?No email scanning?
    E-mail is scanned on access by the monitor in the free version!
    What a load of crap!
    :rolleyes:

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sure it does, but what about in cases of exploits when stuff gets executed directly in memory through exploited application? No file monitor will secure you from that... why do you think HTTP scanners are so common in these days?

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Aside from the dates in the screenshot, the vdf and search engine numbers match here.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

what a load of crap? you dont know what your talking about? what a load of rubbish? .... surely these insults should be flagged by mods.

if ive been mistaken about something, fair enough... dont need to have a go,

but ..

i do laugh when i see people using software what tops av-comparatives, and then disses all the rest, doesnt this show you havnt got the knowledge to make your own judgement on things, no way is antivir the fastest scanner in the november test, especially not on my notebook anyway, as i found it 'slow' (not 'fast' as stated in av-comparatives)

also as ppl slagging off dr.web for its fp's in the heuristics, but it still got 34% and would have been advanced plus if the fp's were not there, and if you read the report.. most were only flagged as 'suspicious' anyway, so its up to the user to decide for themselfs. (but it sounds like people who will judge only off av-comparatives do not have the knowledge to do that, as its something they need to decide on theirself)
    and to use IC's words here "If Dr.Web should be avoided by all means, how do they manage to get VirusBulletin Awards? (Reference: Oct 2006 VB 100%) You fail there if you have serious fp's."

and slagging off norton because of its 'slow defs' ... hmm, but even av comparatives on demand tests have NEW viruses in... yet norton scores highly all the time, and quite a few times... it has 'NO FPS.

if all your gonna do is judge what these tests show and mock the rest who dissagree, go ahead, get yourself AVK, fortinet or whatever, doesnt bother me. *laughs* :D

personally, i will use software not just because of a rating, but because of personal choice and performance, and i dont make come backs like "oh, your using etrust, your opinion is useless, its crap... so dont bother, you dont know what your talking about"

16. Big Apple

Simmer down man...... it was you starting to talk about a certain product being a big mistake and that just shows your ignorance of any knowledge about this subject whatsoever.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

simmer down?

i gave my opinion yet got insulted for it.....

if im wrong, fair enough... why the insults, ~snip....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2006
  18. Big Apple

This should be the limit...... calling all repliers '~snip....Bubba~'.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2006
  19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah, i'll take that comment back, was a bit too far for this place,

but what i think ... is, people shoudn't really ask for an opinion if they are going to argue with it.

if your mind has been made up on the matter, why bother?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  20. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all,

Remain civil and focus on technical content not opinions of various members or the thread closes for all. End of story, end of discussion.

Blue

21. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

It looks like pretty same.

Bet regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yep, that is correct. This email issue keeps coming up over and over again...:rolleyes: It gets really old...I sorry....:p :p Mine pretty much matches your screen shot as for the auto version renewal thing...as I have always said the Classic PE is free and works great how can you complain about such a tiny matter. o_O

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

See post #13 for the answer.

24. sweater

Then, I'll only use email accts with virus checker....:D

But..I was also thinking about this...:rolleyes: _ if AntiVir has no email scanner like others? How many of you here already was infected with email virus w/ AntiVir free installed and running? o_O :cautious:

25. Londonbeat

IMO Antivir will still protect you just fine without an email scanner, I think they are overated. Of all the crap I've ever had via email I've never had anything that hasn't been detected by a realtime file scanner.

Londonbeat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.