Are you using Kent's and Tony's additions with 2.0?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by richrf, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

Has anyone analyzed the usefulness of adding Kent's and Tony's rules to the latest version of RD 2.0? Is it still worthwhile since there are so many new rules to 2.0? Thanks for the info.

Rich

2. rickontheweb

rickontheweb Registered Member

I did import them both back in just to be safe with 2.0.

When in the configure window, if you click on the Global Registry Rules (to display everything) and then click on the Key column to sort by key, you'll see all the duplicate entries in the different groups. Most of them are already incorporated now with the 2.0 defaults.

You can delete the newly imported duplicates and leave anything not covered by 2.0's defaults behind if you wish. Some not covered by default seem important.

I haven't encountered a situation where these few extra rules got used yet, so I don't know how necessary they are.

But personally I'm hoping I never do need them, but there are there if necessary. ;)

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I agree with rickontheweb. I did the same exact thing Rich.

No probs at all with doing so as well.

4. rickontheweb

I only have one issue with importing the older sets. Did wildcard handling change in 2.0?

I'm not sure if they mean "*" or if it now should be "\**" at the end of some of these imported reg entries.

It appears to me on what's left of Tony's files after duplicate removal that reg entries ending with wildcards should be changed to "\**" instead of "*" at the end of the entry.

But I get more confused on Kent's entries if he meant "*" or "\**" now.

I hope these guys get some time to update their files for version 2.0. So what ever isn't being handled by default can be added back in without the confusion.

Sometimes it just looks like the wildcarding in older imports seems wrong now.

5. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

You can simply replace any * in the KEY with ** and it will have the same meaning as in 1.3

The other thing that you should do is replace any instances of

• controlseto_O
    • controlset*
    • currentcontrolset
    with
    • *controlset*
    That way the rules will work as intended

The other point to note is that as long as you add the groups in *after* the default groups that Jason provides having duplicates won't cause any issues. RegDefend stops when it finds a match, so if there is a duplicate then it never be seen as it will be matched by Jason's supplied groups first seeing as they are higher up in the groups list

I have done some fairly simple speed tests and not noticed any slowdown's unless I do something silly like logging every read and run ccleaner. The bottleneck then becomes I/O to disk as the GSS gets busy writing useless entries into the logfile and consuming memory in the alert tab listview. The reason I mention this is because from my use of the GSS/RD a few extra (duplicated) sensible rules hasn't increased the cost in any way that I could notice.

6. rickontheweb

Thanks gottadoit. That helps immensely on cleaning up my rules and eliminating redundant enties.

But it leaves me a little confused on wildcards in 2.0. How does wildcarding affect these 4 just for example reg rules:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows nt\Currentversion\Svchost*

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows nt\Currentversion\Svchost**

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows nt\Currentversion\Svchost\*

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows nt\Currentversion\Svchost\**

7. xxzlmnop

xxzlmnop Guest

I guess I should wait to buy this app as it appears to be in beta stage with these changes. I want it to work without having to make changes to additional gst files.

8. rickontheweb

The default rules in 2.0 are more than adequate protection for most users. I personally don't consider this version to be beta. If the application prompts for allow/deny decisions too often, many will shy away from it as being too complex, yet obviously it has to accommodate advanced, paranoid and or obsessive security minded people as well. So the default rule choices are always a balance between ease of use and advanced decisions.

But on a security forum like here there are always those like us that want take it further, which any good security application should accommodate. That's all we are discussing here. Many of Tony's and Kent's rules did get incorporated into 2.0 default rules. The others may be unnecessary. I personally would rather have them than not.

I happen to like most of the changes that came with 2.0. It's much more flexible for the advanced user while still being "out of the box" usable for most people. But the choice is yours.

9. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Indeed. Jason should really allow us to have more control over the log. Being able to turn it off , or to only record certain entries. Is there any other mode other than "alert" ?

10. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Pollmaster,
    I was wondering if you had noticed the "[] Log to disk" option for a rule, as that is what I would normally use in situation that I put myself in.

In my case I was doing some stress testing of RD to try and see where its limitations were. What I found was that 2.x is much better than 1.x at coping with rulesets containing rules that are triggered frequently.

11. rickontheweb

Well, I've noticed that the option to log or not is available in the global registry rules, but only for blocked exceptions in the application rules. It's only available as a check box in the application rules if you make exceptions to block something; it disappears when setting allows. All the specific exceptions that we allow in the application rules get logged. Since I go back into my application allows and make them rather specific, so I still get prompted for non-routine changes, I consider these rather specific application allows "routine and safe", and I would like the ability to uncheck that log box to eliminate them from cluttering up the log view. So the log/not log feature is nice, but incomplete when it comes to allowed exceptions.

2.0 seems a very minimal hit on performance here. The only slowdown I notice at all is scanning with a registry cleaner app and I expect that since it's doing nothing but scanning the registry at high speed. Unchecking all the ghst groups in 1.3 made it scan faster, but setting it to disabled in 2.0 doesn't seem to speed it back up anymore. I notice the stats window in 2.0 still gather read/write numbers, maybe that's it. But it's the only app I notice any difference with RegDefend installed and it's not that bad. I don't "clean" my registry too often so it's not an issue.

12. poll2

poll2 Guest

I don't think the ability to choose which rule to log is the point.

In general, I would want all rule to be logged, but once I setup a rule exception allowing an app access, it seems pointless for it to be logged further. It just clutters up the log and makes it difficult for me to see the more important info.

I think it's almost 100% pointless to log "Allowed" actions (this happens when it matches an application rule right?). Why should they be logged? They aren't really exceptions. Seems unusual, since my personal firewalls logs only exceptions to rules, not allowed transactions.

In my logs, almost 90% are "allowed" actions and they make it difficult to see what is really important. Not to mention they cause the logs to become really big.

What is most important for me , I think are the blocked(user) and blocked lines.

Some quick way of showing only those entries would be nice.

I might be crazy, but i wish the log was more searchable.

13. poll2

poll2 Guest

Exactly. I don't want allowed specific app execeptions to be logged. I already set a rule to allow it, no need to log it. Either make it an option, or turn if off by default.

I got dozens of svchost "allowed" rules mucking up my ruleset.

14. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i am a newbie.. i tried to import "puff's" ruleset, but i had no idea what i was doing.. after i imported the ruleset, i had an extra group in the global rules, i forgot the name of it, but it was marked with a red x.. i would thing that the red x indicated that something was wrong.. :(

15. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Try clicking the red X and see if it magically turns into a green tick!

Actually I still haven't upgraded to version 2, but that is what you do with version 1.3.

16. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

It's not that something is wrong, it's an indicator that the rule set in question has not been enabled. In RD 2.0 highlight the rule set and then look to the right of the Group Name entry field, you will see Group Enabled and a check box. Click in the box and the X will disappear.

I hope this helped, take care.

17. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Can someone post the modified Kent and Tony ghst files with the wild card changes. I am lost here in trying to change them and finding the duplicates. I might also be lost in inserting them since they have to go in a certain order after the standard set as I was told, but that is another story.

dja2k

18. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

So I am guessing no one wants to share the modified kent and tony files......

dja2k

19. TopperID

I can only upload as .txt, so you'll have to save as .ghst

There should be 17 rules - so check I've put up the correct file.

Attached Files:

20. TopperID

Again, there should be 20 rules if I've put up the correct file.

Attached Files:

21. TopperID

Yuk! This all seems to have gone wrong.

The files appear to have got scrambled during uploading. If anyone knows what I did wrong I'll try again.

22. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yep they sure are scrambled.... Anyone else care to help TopperID out or post their own files?

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.