are you afraid of the windows registry?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kof, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kof

kof Registered Member

does microsofts registry warnings slow you down?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I ain't scared of no registry.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I've learned from my mistakes long time ago.:oops: It doesn't scare me anymore.:p

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Not anymore, but i do hate it. I don't understand it either, it seems any program can do what it wants with it. I guess i'm ignorant here too, but to me, it's a coordinated mess

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

It may be a little nerdy, but I enjoy messing with the registry. It used to intimidate me because I didn't understand it, now it's no big deal at all.

Sometimes, it's the easiest way to get something just the way you want it. :)

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Love playing in the registry. If I want something tweaked I prefer to do it manually as opposed to adding another program that does it for me. Call me old fashioned. :D

7. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

having whacked away at portions of the registry with a large battleaxe on more than one occasion and still not busted it,
    Id say it depends on the subhive your working on.

And having a parallel install to replace the hive in total via a GUI makes one fearless. :p
    It is nice to have automatically generated copies of the hive for each of the last 20 boots
    as opposed to just the last known good or manual backups however

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Used to be scared to death of it. I'm still far, far, far from an expert but no longer afraid to jump in and go for it!

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I enjoy working with the registry, especially on DOS based PCs. There's so much more you can do when Windows isn't interfering.
    Automated registry restore via DOS batch files. Real time registry protection unneeded.
    Multiple registries, enabling me to switch between vastly different configurations with a single click.
    It's fun just seeing what you can make a system do when you can restore back to where you started with one click, or one command line entry should your experimenting make the registry unusable.
    Rick

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not scared, I just don't like to run any risks when removing registries, just for cleaning purposes.

Almost any software, including Windows installs UNUSED registries.
    I don't like to remove these unused registries, I ignore these registries in my registry cleaner.
    That's why I run a registry cleaner before and after installing/uninstalling a software to keep my registry cleaner under control.

All these registry cleaners are just opinions of different programmers and which one are you going to trust ?

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I usually don't delete anything from the registry I don't recognize. But I will delete and backup certain entrees that look safe.:eek:

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes.:oops:
    Jerry

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

No I don't think so, I mean I used to be. But since I came to wilders I have learned a lot, but I am no expert.

14. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I just use proven and tested registry cleaners....:D

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No, Never did, but programs that leave behind tons of entries in System\CurrentControlSet\Services in XP sure does. :eek:

16. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Love digging through the registry after uninstalling an app. Even after running a reg. cleaner or two. It might surprise some at what is left behind. I only delete the obvious keys. Those with the program\authors\companies name. Who knows what un-named entries are left behind. :rolleyes:

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Registry is an ugly piece of crapola. It was made to make sure precious corporate cookies weren't eaten by communists.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.