Are wireless keyboard and mouse safe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TairikuOkami, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Hi, I want to buy a new set and I wonder, are wireless keyboard and mouse safe?
    Wireless network can be easily sniffed by tools, so what about those components?
    I guess, that typing with keyboard or copy & paste with mouse could be sniffed, right?
    Disadvantages are also batteries and prize, but wireless would be so much comfortable.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I don't like wireless gadgets, in general. Tried them a few times. They were not always reliable, especially around cellphones and such. I say go with plain old conventional ones...
    Mrk

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I find a wireless headphone (100m range) much more convenient, than a wireless keyboard or mouse.
    It works in every room and even on the street two floors lower.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  4. TairikuOkami

Ok, thank you. Well, the MS mouse has a cable, which is supposed to be easily moveable.
    I will pick those: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 & Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000
    I wanted Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000, where mouse should hold for min 6 months.

About wireless headphone, I would love that one, especially to listen music while cleaning dishes, but the one I found will work only for about 6 houres before batteries run out and I would like 7.1 headphones, so far I found only 5.1 and even those needs an own adapter. :'(

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I always buy total el cheapo mouse and keyboard... around 3 dollars in cost. Never let me down. Much better than the expensive brands.

One of my bosses had that mouse at work. Too big and actually causes pain in the tendons near thumb.

Mrk

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

never had any problems with my Microsoft wireless desktop.
    no keys have worn off.
    i havent needed to replace the battery's for ages
    lodore

7. TairikuOkami

Neither did me the cheap ones, but my computer is my life and I want the best for it. :)
    By the way, I do not have a cellphone and I do no want any, I have a fixed-line phone. [​IMG]
    Sounds great and how about the security, do bad neighbours (crackers) let you sleep calm?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

The way I see it, no wireless device is really safe. I just don't get it, why is a relatively short stretch of cable from a keyboard/mouse to a PC is a big deal?

As far as I'm concerned, using my WiFi laptop (especially at hotspots) is enough of risk for me!

9. TairikuOkami

Well, both those has the same prize, but cables are just so much annoying.
    I have glued keyboard's & mouse's cables to the table for better movement.

I wonder, when I copy/paste a password with mouse, the mouse actually does not send it?

10. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

No, it doesn't.

I have a wireless mouse, which really isn't a security issue since all it is sending to the computer is whether it is moving up or down. A wireless keyboard may be another matter, but the infrared signal (if that's what it uses), isn't very strong, and would have a hard time traveling through walls and such.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

11. TairikuOkami

Great, thanks man, that is, what I wanted to hear. Thanks to all for help. ;)

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

WiFi is riskier tank a wireless Keyboard and mouse. WiFi can be pirated, there are reported cases. You just have to be close enough to pickup the signal.

13. ErikAlbert

Suppose you have two computers close to eachother and both have a wireless keyboard, isn't that a problem ?
    What is typed on the left keyboard might appear on the right monitor and vice versa.

14. TairikuOkami

I guess, that it will be better to use a mouse to type sensitive data with onscreen keyboard.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I feel much easy without wires. I think if u will try then only u might feel the difference.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh, u are one of those few!

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think my keyboard and mouse is inferred which is short range.
    there are bluetooh mouse and keyboards from microsoft and other makes i wouldnt get one of those bluetooth on phones can be hacked so the keyboards could be as well. so get a normal wireless keyboard and mouse and it should be no problem.
    ive never felt my current wireless mouse as a secuirty issue and wont lose sleep over it
    lodore

18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I´m the only one in my family who does not have a cellphone :D My little sister (11 years old) has one.

19. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

The question of security risks with wireless computer peripherals such as mouse and keyboard seems inapplicable to the vast majority of people. Unless you are a potential target of sophisticated individuals or groups that are making a concerted effort to aquire information from you, you probably have nothing to worry about in this area. Though it is entirely possible to intercept and decipher infrared signals in general (I can only presume it is similarly possible with wireless computer peripherals), I don't think it is easy to do so, and I don't think many people are utilizing this technique on random people's wireless keyboards. So while it is interesting to discuss the technical possiblity of such a risk, it is not something that should prevent most people from buying such devices. WiFi is a much greater security risks that is applicable to most computer users. Another issue similar to this one is the matter of infrared being used in current US passports, but I'm not suggesting a hijack of this thread, just proposing that there are more important and relevant matters to be discussed.

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My daughter bought a Dell that came with a wireless mouse and keyboard. It basically works on the principle of a tv remote. The mouse and keyboard have a line of sight to a red beam in a receiving unit. My Grand Daughters use it with no problems. :)

21. ErikAlbert

Well, I'm still not convinced that a wireless keyboard and mouse is better and nobody answered my question in post #13.

22. TairikuOkami

Does not have every wireless device its unique mark like an ethernet card MAC address?
    I mean, that the signal can be received only on the device with registred number or etc?
    It could be sniffed with special tools, but it should not be posssible with the same device?
    Well I just hope, that this keyboard has much more better signal protection then TV control.

23. ErikAlbert

I remember vaguely a post at Wilders, where it was a problem.
    I have a wireless TV headphone and sometimes I receive music from somewhere else, when I go to a specific spot in my apartment.

24. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. You can control what devices are allowed access and encrypt the signal.

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Erikalbert, in referance to post #13, I don't think that would be a problem if you keep the red eyes on opposite sides of the computers so the periferals can't see each other. Personally, I would prefer the wired ones. What's 2 more wires if you look behind your computer. As for the mouse wire getting in your way, I use a track ball which never moves.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.