Are these browsers safe to use?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Toriscool, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toriscool

Toriscool Guest

Can anyone tell me if the browsers in this link are reliable and safe to use? (Not including the more well known browsers like Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Netscape and K-Meleon).

http://browsers.evolt.org

I'm really interested in trying out new and different browsers but don't want to try anything that could be unsafe to use.

Does anyone use any of these alternate browsers and would you recommend them? Which ones are better/safer? Are any of them trustable and good alternatives to the more well know browsers?

I am just concerned that some of them may not be to safe to use or have other flaws that could make them dangerous for day to day use on the internet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Fffffffffiiiiouuuuuu

Talk about a list !

Didn't even know this many browsers existed !

I may test a few in the next days...

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Well, most of the webbrowsers there are older versions than that of current releases, some are no longer updated/produced, however, I'd say the ones that are safe would be the ones you already mentioned (IE (If you can call it "safe" - safe and IE together is an oxymoron)) Mozilla, Firefox, K-Meleon, etc)

I personally wouldn't use any of the browsers on Evolt on my main system, because they are old, and therfore at risk for security problems. - However, if you have an old 486/P1/P2 PC laying around not doing anything, reformat, install a copy of Win95/98/98SE or some other version of Windows that'll run on it, update, and start testing away at the different browsers, I have a PC that I use strictly for testing stuff. - Another option you may have is to download a copy of QEMU (Search for it on google, I don't know the URL) make up a ISO of a older copy of Windows (98, 95) and install it under a Virtual Machine, to allow safe testing of Webbrowsers.

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Im not sure if its on the list but i use maxthon quite a bit and it is simply amazing (and free) its an internet explorer base browser so i use it on internet explorer only sites ans windows update.

I rate that only behind firefox as my favourite.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You have to understand something here: there is no such thing as a safe browser, that's why a "layered" defense is required. ;)

Acadia

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Biggest problem with most of these browsers is not security. It's the fact that the current standard web functions don't work. Try png, transparant or not...
    Security is hardly a problem if all the browser does is interpret old style html, without any other scripting or any plugin support (activex for instance).

I remember the impact of IE3 when the internet was dominated by Netscape. Right now we wouldn't like going back to those days. I would say: check them out, but just to see the progress in functionality made in the last decade.

Would you install wordperfect 4.2 just to prevent all office vulnerabilities?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.