Are there any Windows Defender Users out there?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I just wondered why Windows Defender seems to get such a bad rap here in this forum? I mean there has to be some WD Users out there who will "defend" WD right? I ask this because I recently tried it again and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. I personally like the GUI that some don't, and think it looks more professional than Spyware Terminator's. WD also did better than ST in all the rounds they competed together in, in the Anti-Malware Testing that was shown just recently in a thread in this forum. As a matter of fact it did better than a lot of other AS Programs as well, and I would think it will keep improving. Don't get me wrong, I like ST and the GUI isn't really that bad, but it just seems that WD although a bit plain, still has an over all more professional quality about it, that is missing in ST. I realize opinions always differ, but I can't believe after using WD that I'm in the minority here. So again I ask. Are their any Windows Defender Users out there who will "defend" Windows Defender?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Re: Is there any Windows Defender Users out there?

Well for those tests, the various products tend to fluctuate so don't expect huge improvements. Most just go up and down, but never top 50%. One month, let's say Spybot for some reason gets 40% next month it could go down to 8%. So basically, yes, Windows Defender could be worth using, as second layer of realtime, but I think ST is enough. Spyware is not as huge a problem as many people make it sound. If you use Siteadvisor or something, and common sense, you more then likely will be fine, so don't over-worry about spyware :) And btw, Spyware doesn't tend to kill your computer so even if it gets on it, it's usually simple enough to remove.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Re: Is there any Windows Defender Users out there?

I use it for XP64 as its the only one thats available for 64bit OS, at least offers me minimal protection apart from my Avast 64 and router.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    The major problem I had with WD was the incompatibility issue with my hardware, I think, because scans could never be completed, and eventually upon uninstall there came a splendid crash.
    Mrk

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have it on the home computer since its quite and is simple and my parents don't know its on there haha they were trying to have no real time protection. I know its not the best but its free and doesn't have lots of pop ups

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I had WD on my pc for about a year annoying me with scheduled scans that turned up nothing while my other spyware apps picked up data miners all the time. It picked up one piece of malware and five cookies in a year. I uninstalled it.:thumbd:

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I usually put defender on my friends computers. It works silently in the background and most of them don't even know its there until it saves them. Definitely my pick for the average user.

8. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

I use Defender all the time because I'm currently using Windows One Care. I also have a KIS subscription, but my family required something simpler. Defender is adequate for my usual purposes and very conservative web surfing. I also run LinkScanner Pro and I have AVG AS and WinPatrol installed for use as needed, and can install Spysweeper anytime I feel the need. The fact is, I haven't had any serious malware in a long time, so Defender never finds much. Neither do the others, except for the occassional false positive. I must admit I would feel safer running Spysweeper or AVG AS with KIS, but my family would revolt. I do regular backups and can reformat in a heartbeat. My recent reformats have all been due to screwups/conflicts with security software, so my current feeling is that sometimes "less is more."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.