Are there any problems with Acronis True Image 8.0 ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by [suave], Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

I just want to know if there are any serious bugs or problems with True Image 8.0.

That is the version I have been using until now. Maybe it is time to upgrade?

TI 8.0 does everything I need (backup/restore hd images) so I don't really care about the new features of 9.0 and 10.0.

The only thing I am concerned with is the stability of the old software. Is upgrading recommended? Are there any problems with my version that I should know about?

The last thing I need is to find out something is wrong with my backups all because I didn't want to upgrade.

So if you know, please let me know :D

Thanks.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

My thoughts are - if the software works as you expect and does everything you need, then there is no point in upgrading.

This might change of course, for example you were going to buy some super duper new hardware that TI8 won't understand or if next year you decide to buy Vista - then of course an upgrade of TI is invitable, but until then --------

Colin

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi suave,

Keep you money in your pocket. If you are using build 937 and you have no problems I wouldn't bother. The only reason I upgraded from the rock solid 8.937 to v9 was that I changed my computer. It is change of hardware which will most likely cause you to change as the drivers with the Linux environment may not exist with your build. Since you cannot restore your primary partition under Windows (excepting the BartPE route) the Linux rescue environment eventually goes stale.

If you change your hardware, it is essential to do full backup/verification/restoration tests anyway imv. It is at this point that you will discover if v8 still works for you.

F

4. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

One factor that is NOT menion here is that version 9.0 Backup your MBR, version 8.0 DOes not.

5. [suave]

bodgy, I agree with you when you say "if it works fine don't fix it". But at the same time, I would have more confidence working with TI 8.0 knowing there aren't any known bugs.

I mean, my hard drive images are the most important things to me. Imaging and backups are the only thing I can really rely on incase something happens.

I am also using build 859 of TI 8.0. Not 937 like foghorne recommends. Maybe there are bugs in my build that would leave me better off just upgrading to 10.0?

And niteghost, I don't know what the importance of backing up the MBR is. Care to explain? I've always been able to restore my PC with TI 8.0 in the past and it appears 100% identical, even though the MBR may have been lost as you say. o_O

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Version 8 does backup the MBR automatically if you select a full disk image. It is version 9 that is the odd one out in that it gives you the option not to backup the MBR.
    I am sure some find this choice useful. I do not. To keep things simple I always backup and restore the MBR whether it needs it or not.

Xpilot

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

PS. It is important to have a working MBR in ones images if a hard drive has to be replaced. If it is missing it can be repaired afterwards. I prefer to have it in all my images anyway.

Xpilot

8. [suave]

Thanks for the info.

Just to be sure, since it is better to have the MBR backed up with your images then what is the reason for TI 9 to allow us to make an inferior backup (without the MBR)?

Is there any advantage here that I am not seeing?

9. foghorne

Hi suave

If you backup a partition (as opposed to the whole drive) you will not save the MBR unless you have version 9 or later *and* tick the MBR box.

If you backup the whole drive (under any version) you will always save the MBR.

F.

10. [suave]

Hey foghorne,

I see what you're saying.

In my particular situation, I have my hard drive split into two partitions. I only backup the c: though.

So I guess that means the MBR is not being backed up since I am using TI8.

Is this a good enough reason to upgrade to the new version? Does it really matter that much?

What would happen if my hard drive dies and I have to buy a new one (like Xpilot said). Would I still be able to restore my images that I keep in a safe place or would TI8 be useless in that situation?

I mean, one of the main reasons I bought TI8 was to be able to restore my computer incase my hard drive fails. I'm glad I posted this topic because it's better I find out about this now then when it is already too late.

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well not backing up the MBR is not the biggest problem in the world, but it is inconvenient and requires some extra steps that not everyone would be keen to do.

Once you have restored your image - you would need to find your XP CD - boot into either console mode and type the FIXMBR commands, or if any hardware has changed (other than the HDD), boot into the repair function on the CD and perform a windows repair, which will kill two birds with one stone - the MBR will be remade and registry will be made aware of all new hardware.

You will need to have an original XP CD with Key.

Colin

12. foghorne

or make one backup of your whole disk. When you need to install a new disk start by recovering this to your new disk first, then restore your latest partition(s). As bodgy says it is not a huge obstacle, just a little inconvenient. If having this feature is something which would give you peace of mind then you should consider upgrading, but you can get by without it.

F.

13. [suave]

bodgy, foghorne... thanks. :)

Yes, that feature would definitely give me peace of mind. I had 3 hard drives fail on me in the past (before my TI days). After the thrid time I promised myself I will never suffer from that problem again and that's when I bought TI. Well it's just too bad that my version wont help me out the way I need it to.

Now I am going to think about upgrading. Unless I can find some freeware that can take care of it for me in a simple way. I do have my XP CD but I don't like going through those steps. I'd rather it be quick and painless with little chance to screw something up.

I found this utility in my search:

MBRtool 2.2 (http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/mbrtool.htm)

Can that possibly make up for this small drawback in TI 8.0 ?

14. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Actually somewhere lurking on Acronis's website is an MBR tool - look in their FAQ's bit.

Colin

15. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't think this is correct. TI9 always backs up the MBR with an image of the partition. I don't even see where with either a partition backup or a whole disk backup where you can tell it to, or not to, back up the MBR.

16. foghorne

Good point. It is the restoration of the MBR which is optional.

F.

17. shieber

shieber Registered Member

lol. The older a version gets, the less bugs folks seem to remember. One of the common complaints in the early builds of 9 was that it hadn't fixed the bugs that were still in 8. Iirc, these mostly had to do writing writing to CDs.

I wouldn't screw with the inbetween versions. You'll jsut be right where yo are now, asking the same question. Try the latest version and see if it does anything for you that's worth the price to you, which is probably about the price of a night at Movies.

Don't get new software just because it's newer. A Newgrade is an Upgrade only if it does something for you better than before or something new that you want to do but couldn't do before. But trying to see if the new version has anything for isn't a bad idea if you have the time, especially since Acronis let's you do it at no charge.

18. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

What I said is correct and what you said is also correct, if there is only one partition on the disk.
    In version 9 if you select the primary active partition or it is the only partition the MBR will be included in the image. If you select a primary partition and do not tick the whole disk option the MBR will not be included.

On restore the MBR is listed separately from the other partitions so it is option to restore it or not.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.