Are there any free real time anti trojan programs???

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by cheater87, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have the programs I use in my sig. But when I came home from work last night I found out Avast found some trojans in my system recovery files. I deleted it and got rid of the rest with A Squared free. Now I feel vulnerable. I thought all the programs I had would protect me but I found out I had a gap open. What program can I use to stop thiso_O

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You already have a free realtime anti-trojan. Its BOClean.

Comodo named it an anti-malware but BOClean was previously well known as an anti-trojan.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I guess this trojan slipped passed it. Good thing Avast got rid of most of it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I would assume that these trojans are detected by Avast's standard shield( real time scanner for your files). These threats are still sleep cells, not active yet. I would assume they will be intercepted by BoClean the moment they execute. Trojan are much easier to sneak in than viruses (am I correct ?) Any trojan guard (such as Boclean or AVG AS) will not detect them until the moment they receive marching order. So long as you have AT in place, and run the scanner routinely, most Trojan will not be let gone by w/o notice. Take care.

5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Considering what you already have, there's no point in adding YET ANOTHER blacklist scanner - it's just a typical case of "more of the same". You should be exploring other approaches to protection instead of constantly adding more scanners to your setup.

6. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

try a hosts file.

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Remember with BOClean unless the trojans start to do their evil deeds...BOClean will ignore, but unless they launch and BOClean sees them on it's list they just sit there.

When I dropped BOClean, AntiVir caught some trojan and fixed the problem for me. :)

EDIT: :oops: Sorry for double answer Perman has basically said the same thing. With different words. :thumb:

8. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

You have almost the same problem I have. I Use NOD32 V3.14 . How effective is BoClean really? Why have some users dropped it . Does it not work or is is due to other reasons? If we spent the money & added a real time trojan cleaner Pay type would that in fact help? Maybe its just better to scan & hpe for the best. How about using Returnil, VirtualBox & then setting up a clone windows system for internet use guarding your real System. For that matter maybe FDISR with a frozen snapshot might work.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

From what Ive read people drop it due to reasons relating to teh EULA and support. BOClean does function well though.

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Very true.
    There also was the high cpu issue I had with 4.23 which is not the case with 4.25

11. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Let's take into account BOClean 'leaves' most of the routine work to do to the antivirus, stepping in where the antivirus wont.
    There's no point in repeatedly giving alarms about Boclean not catching virus or trojans that the antivirus is enabled to catch first: as its been said before Boclean will intercept when they activate.
    I think you can stay quite safe with the combo Antivirus+Boclean.
    edit-plus of course PrevX!

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Besides one being paid and having a scanner. Just curious if BOClean and AVG AS do close to the same thing as far as Real Time?

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Boclean and AVG AS's guard are real time(?) guard, to catch any trojan initiated to execute. They will stay very quietly most of the time, thus let you wonder their effectiveness and presence. Often, I found that AV such as Avast's standard shield( I used it before) or McAfee VirusScan Enterprise's on access scanner can detect trojans while doing real-time(this is the kind of real time service I prefer it to be called) scanning your computer. They examine every single files, process except those you have designated being excluded, in the background, quietly. And I found these function are indeed very effective. They routinely root out malwares before even bothering others, such as Boclean or AVG AS. Most AV nowadays have expanded to include trojan detection capability, and surprisingly enough, often outperform those AT's. Without any more advanced development in stand-alone ATs, their days becoming a real Lone Wolf are around the corner. And sadly very few options will be left for them, including face-changing to freeware, in order to retain past glory and fame. Take care.

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thank you Perman. But wouldn't it still be an advantage to use AVG AntiMalware instead of just AVG Pro Antivirus?

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: You are welcome. I have no hand on experiences with those two apps you mentioned, perhaps someone can fill in here. Take care.

16. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

That is your opinoin.

It would be added protection.IMO

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Yes, that is my opinion, but the writing is readable on the wall. This is the fact: How many new AT apps have been created in the last two years, and how many have suffered the unfortunate ? It is just the trend, nothing mighty enough to turn it around. Time will tell. We can bury this argument in a time capsule and unearth it two years from now. Today's technology evolves like ocean waves; new ones keeps washing up, brushing previous ones away. Sad to see this, but ..... we just have to swallow it. Take care.

18. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

I agree. ATs were just barely suriving even back then as niche product.. Then came the antispyware, and now the move towards suites...

Even for people like us (the bread and butter of niche products), the increased use of whitelisting, sandboxing, HIPS, means that there is now even more security programs and technologies jostling for attention. It seems very hard to justify to add yet another AT which is after all mainly scanner based technology (despite arguments about superior cleaning ability etc) when you can use sandboxing etc.

As it is , I suspect very few people here run AS resident protection. Of couse, people might still run AT on demand for fun once in a while, but I suspect, apps that are only run on demand will eventually get discarded as people find that they find nothing. (which almost is certain to happen because people here are paranoid)..

The writing is indeed on the wall for ATs IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.