Are there any conflicts between AppGuard and Privatefirewall?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fox Mulder, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

My free trial of AppGuard is coming to a close soon, and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing it. However, I wanted to know if there was any conceivable conflict between AppGuard and Privatefirewall before I spent any money.

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

No there shouldn't be. You might have to tweak appguard to allow PrivateFirewall to work properly.

3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Using them together here with no problems on XP.

4. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Personally, I wouldn't use them both at the same time.
    PF has all that you need....

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

IMHO PF HIPS is weaker than AppGuard.

6. siketa

siketa Registered Member

It gives you more control than AG.
    And it has firewall.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Comodo would be a better option then.
    Version 5 in particular plus its a better firewall IMHO.

8. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Comodo has one major weakness...its cloud sometimes decides that malware file is safe.

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im aware of that and hopefully it will get fixed.
    About time they got valkyrie up and running.

I have turned off the cloud function as i just use the superb firewall alone.

10. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

I don't really think that's the case, but anyway Comodo controls everything what AppGuard controls as well equally good.

11. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I disagree.

Comodo spams the user with prompts and AppGuard does not. So they don't control everything equally good. AppGuard is better overall since its ultra strong policy control give no prompts. Comodo is based on behaviour/HIPS which prompts the user for more actions.

Also, so many tests have proven Comodo is bypassed while no test indicate that AppGuard fails.

If AppGuard can be configured to work well with PrivateFirewall, you'll be having a great layered defense when combined with an on-demand scanner. Not sure why anyone would use the HIPS module in PW together with AppGuard though.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree with Shadek. I use Appguard and Online Armor, and I've set as exclusions in OA for both Windows, and Program Files. I use that in conjunction with NVT's Exe Radar Pro, and it's a super combo with no pesky pop ups.

Pete

13. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

It was years ago in 3.x and 4.x versions. Now it is rather silent. For a week I have CIS HIPS in "Paranoid" with popups in verbose mode and FW in "Custom" and alert frequency in "Very High". No popup yet.

Sorry for OT. Let's guys adhere to the OP.

Does anybody know any tests from venerable testing companies for AppGuard?

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  14. CoolWebSearch

Peter and Shedek
    I don't buy this because you can configure Comodo as well, Comodo protects everything as we all as AppGuard, the key difference is their methods.
    By your own words, this would mean that DefenseWall is also better than Comodo, but not as good as AppGuard, but I still fail to see what's the major difference between AppGuard and AppLocker for example?
    for example, when I used AppGuard recently it blocked Cache Cleaner exe to read from CTF loader, I don't know what's the big deal here, really, since without it was just fine and I was never infected.

And I'm sure AppGuard at maximum protection would fail some test, sooner or later... unless you think it's totally impenetrable.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  15. CoolWebSearch

I use nothing except Comodo and router protection, I don't need it.

16. shadek

shadek Registered Member

You all argue that Comodo is good. I agree, it is good. That's not what we're arguing about. Comodo still prompts the user with more popups and the topic was about AppGuard, which is more silent and super strong together with PW (which plays the same role as Comodo does). Comodo is not the option for the author.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

For the most part I have no argument here.

First, I've tested Appguard, and it works as advertised. I am sure you could design a test it might fail, but if that test is outside the parameters of the way Appguard works, then what does it prove.

Second. No doubt you can configure Comodo to work standalone. I run Online Armor and I could do the same thing. But in fact what I've done with Online Armor is set both Windows and Program files as exclusions. Appguard protects them silently and doesn't interfere with normal use. One of the aspects of this that is important to me, is I have two people who work on my computers, and they are very dependable, but don't know how to answer pop up alerts. This way the system is well protected, and doesn't bother them.

So this is the way I would use Appguard and Private wall, and it would work well.

Pete

18. CoolWebSearch

At least you know what are you doing, I wouldn't know what to do and how most likely, despite I like to dig very deep, this is why I had to re-install my computer several times.
    My bad.
    But I still don't know how that beats Comodo's protection, sure I wouldn't mind if AppGuard is more secure than any other security option we have today, but if we judge only by pop ups, than it's wrong approach really.
    If Comodo's Defense plus catches everything like Appguard does the difference being only pop ups, than I don't see any difference.

I use Comodo long enough to know what I can allow or block (at least that i know for sure).
    If I ever change my security approach, most likely it would like yours currently, AppGuard and NoVirusThanks exe Pro (without firewall since router does all the job), however right now I'm just fine with this approach.
    Thanks for your input.

19. CoolWebSearch

Read my response to Peter, I think I said it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.