Are there a NOD32 conflict with Firefox when downloading at times?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by STagoreK, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

It's not really a big problem for me to be honest. Just NOD being thorough.

I wonder if it's possible, instead of switching off advanced heuristics completely, to get NOD to ignore certain files that are downloaded.

2. STagoreK

STagoreK Registered Member

You mean .exe files in general or even more specific than that? Not sure, does anyone else know?

I wouldn't turn it off unless it was a very large download that would be a nuisance or difficult to redo and it was a trustworthy sight. You could always do a scan of it later once it has saved properly I'm sure.

3. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

Let's have the two Eset responses understood in the proper context. Here is what happened. After I had described the problem to Eset Support they provided me with the algorithm of runs needed to determine which factor was responsible. I performed the runs and returned my findings to Eset.
    To date Eset has not chosen to take any actions on my findings. My conclusion was that the only way to avert having any pause and delayed delivery of downloads to our systems was to disable Advanced heuristics in bothAMON and IMON.

CONCLUSION
    According to what you have written Eset has responded to you and has only cited my findings but it should be noted that they have taken no action to proceed further with the problem.

Addendum of correspondence:

~Removed. Private emails not allowed without permission of both parties. - Ron~

Supersnake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

No, it was a DIVX file. I'm not sure if it's really necessary for a file like that to be scanned when downloading it, especially given the size of it.
    Just looked at IMON setup and in there you can specify extensions not to scan.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  5. STagoreK

Well then thanks goes to you Supersnake, those guys emailed me as if it was their answer. But you seem to have come up with some solution on your own (that they're now sending out to other users).

As for Joilet, I don't know, it looks like ESET didn't want to even respond initially to me because this seems to be a typical hiccup in NOD32, that it makes it hang before finishing. They didn't want to outright say their product does that. I've heard great things about the software but have only recently started using it (as I initially couldn't get it to work with Thinkvantage Secure Disk program, so I removed that). So far the software seems ok. But ESET didn't seem to want to take this specific issue further, disappointing.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It is how Advance Heuristics emulate such a large file, so what is the issue?

It is like saying when I have a huge load in my SUV/Ute/Pickup Truck and it comes to a large hill it slows down, well sure thing that's how it works.

Cheers

Blackspear.

7. Supersnake

1. My September 4th letter to Eset Support requesting permission to post their findings on this forum.
    2. Eset Support’s September 5th permission to post
    3. The Eset Support findings

1. Hello,
    And thank you for your follow through on my inquiry. The matter has generated a fair amount of interest on the Wilders Forum. May I please have your permission to post your response on the Forum - it will be unedited of course and I will present it with only this: "Have received this response from Eset Technical Support. It addresses the matter for which we had concern."

Thanks!
    Supersnake

2. Update for Case #45776 - "Browswer Application Hangups During IMON Examinations of Downloads"
    An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:
    Hello,

Yes, you may post it there.

Thank you,
    Eset Technical Support US

3. Update for Case #45776 - "Browswer Application Hangups During IMON Examinations of Downloads"

An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:

Hello,

Thank you for such a nice report.

Advance Heuristics (AH) slows down scanning time as you already know.
    There is no way it can work better, the only way is to turn off the AH, there is nothing we can do about it.

You have to choose between emulation with AH and your price is a higher time of scanning or you have to turn the AH off.

Thank you,
    Eset Technical Support US

8. STagoreK

Thanks for posting it. Out of curiosity, if we did need to turn it off in IMON, where in setup do we turn that off? Which submenus do we go to and where do we uncheck?

9. Supersnake

You're welcome..

Am not endorsing the turning off of Advanced heuristics (AH) but if you wish to do so AH must be unchecked in both IMON and AMON in order to complete a download from the internet without having a delay at near-completion.

IMON / Setup / Miscellaneous / (Scanner) Setup… / Setup / (ThreatSense Scanning Engine options) Advanced heuristics
    AMON / Setup / Options / (Additional options on create) Advanced heuristics

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive found process tamer to be invaluable with nod and firefox on many occasions.Nod does indeed hit very high cpu levels on my machine during scanning and indeed updating (i have AH enabled).Firefox also sometimes consumes lots of cpu on my machine especially streaming video ,which sometimes cause it to crash.Process tamer ,lowers its usage so that they behave a bit more stable.Works for me anyhow.
    http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/proctamer/
    ellison

11. STagoreK

Thanks. Is there any known conflicts with and any other applications you can think of? Does is essentially just slow things down so there isn't a glut?

12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I havent found any conflicts with it on my setup (w2000).Ive left it on default settings and it auto lowers any high cpu usage app to a lower priority (so that theres less posssibility of a system freeze because of hogged cpu) and then returns it to its original priority.It visually shows you this in system tray icon ,and a balloon tip shows you what process is being tamed.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.