are the ssd 2.5-inch internal SSD at the end of their develop ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Nov 10, 2017.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    about the ssd 2.5 inch internal , are they at the end of their develop seeing the limit of sata ?

just because in the past the market was ruled by samsung with their evo & pro version, but now they are so many brands that build internal ssd 2.5 inch but according the benchmark their performance are almost the same , with a very limited gain or improvements

someday ago in a store , i have seens so many ssd 2.5 of different brands , and checking on the net ,i haven't find a reason to prefer a brand over another

i know the future are the new generation , but just to ask your opinion

thanks

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

2.5" internal drives will be around for a long time.
    It is important to understand that even the slowest SSD will run circles around the fastest hard drives. While the SATA interface may have reached "speed" or bandwidth potentials, solid state drive "densities" (storage capacities) still have lots of room to increase - which they will do as the prices continue to come down. In turn, as the prices do come down, more and more notebooks and other devices that use 2.5in drives will come with large capacity SSDs instead of big, heavy, noisy, ancient technology, electromechanical hard drives.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Bill
    thanks for the answerr , yes i agree about the densities ,but i was talking about performance and technological improvements

4. Bill_Bright

Well, densities are about technological improvements so in that respect, there will continue to be advancements. And while write limits are no longer the problem they were with first generation SSDs, improvements in those areas will likely improve too. And I am sure there will be more little tweaks to come to improve performance. But ultimately, the SATA interface is a big limiting factor - hence the development of M.2 and PCIe SSDs.

That said, there is nothing to say 2.5 inch SSD drives will not continue on, but with a different interface than SATA.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Bill ,instead i talking about 2.5 inch and the limit of the actual sata controller and not about M.2 and PCIe SSDs
    which brands do you like more 2.5 inch ssd?
    thanks Bill

6. Bill_Bright

I know. I am just saying there is nothing to stop 2.5 inch drives from using interfaces other than SATA in the future.

I like Samsung Pro SSD much in part because most come with can't be beat 10 year warranties. But I am not so brand loyal that I would not go with another brand.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi yes me too , i have always bought samsung pro
    what do you think about crucial mx and the more cheap (i guess bx)?
    thanks

8. Bill_Bright

I've used Crucial - no complaint. Also Mushkin. I think any known brand will be reliable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.