Are Stand Alones Heading For Extinction?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi twl845:

Comodo is free, but you have a good point!.

For the average user, (that is not Wilder's guy's for sure) it may be that they are better off security wise with a suite since they would NEVER cover off the bases as an "expert" mix and match guy advocates. They will not know enough and work enough or have the interest to "roll their own" as someone coined that term

So, even though some of us here won't go suite, the average user should since he/she won't get a FW and AV and a HIPS as separate tools. Thus they are exposed to intrusions. So it depends on who you are.

The original post asked about stand alone extinction, my thought is it may happen with the paid products, they are market driven by the average users!

Norton, McAfee, CP already do the suite thing. The free tools and the niche players may hang in as standalone's for a while, but look at it, PC Tools moving towards suites or has one, Comodo , and Eset also doing a suite so, it seems obvious this is a trend.

I don't like it but there it is. Like the tide coming in, it can't be stopped.

My dream, is that firm's will offer all the pieces of their suites as modules I can use or not. Example, I like Norton's AV, ZA's FW and SS's ASW and PC Tools ThreatFire and can still roll my own.

Upon reading what I just wrote it is not a dream it is an hallucination.

Now I'm depressed:'(

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

The whole industry has been moving away from the hardware to a more secure controlled environment for years. Microsoft build software design programs that are now harder to access the hardware directly and this is how it be when nasties attack it all be in a controlled environment that won't do any serious damage.

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

The trend seems to be that the seperate firewall is being is given away as freeware in an attempt,no doubt carefully researched and succesful,to attract potential customers to suites containing it.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In my own experience over the years dealing strickly with Windows systems, security is at it's best when a variety is applied. Now with that being said also consider this, AV's as a rule have especially suffered consistent issues with each version along with conflicts on the customer's/users machines & they are perhaps with the worse track record in that department making stand alones an absolute neccessary alternative to adding enough support to keep their system from completely going down.

Theres simply no substitute IMO for the classic layered approach from a variety of security apps, and with today's latest & newest innovations in sandboxes/virtualizers/HIPS theres no excuse for not having the best possible protections as opposed to depending on any suite.

Yeah, i see it every day too in the brick & mortar shelves of name brand product AV's that most will take home, install, and feel everything will be protected. But these very shelf products are the most targeted security apps that malware writers seem always are compromising time and again.

No, IMHO, stand alones will continue to play a very vital role in preserving the security of Windows system for some time to come if not always. M$ simply cannot assume full security over any of their O/S releases unless they make a policy decision to eliminate all of these top marketing vendors who have long been in the business to shore up $M creations. That's been the reason all along AFAIK why M$ is never taken a serious approach to securing their releases. It's also been a revolving door in that they have created ample global opportunity for new businesses & developments to form which in turn compliments their policy for opening up those potential new interests that keep attention focused on them.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Right. Consider the past week where Comodo released their v3 firewall, and ESET released their v3 AV. A lot of people are having problems, which can be expected, but if these apps were part of a suite these folks would not be able to revert back to v2 so easy until the bugs are fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.