Are Reverse Incrementals anywhere on the roadmap?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AaronAnderson, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronAnderson

AaronAnderson Registered Member

Are Reverse Incremental backups anywhere on the road map for TI? This feature would be an ENORMOUS time saver for 90 percent of my clients installations.

Normal incremental backups are kind of worthless in an environment that you need to be fully automated.

Thoughts? Is this somewhere in the future? I have over 100 installations of TI and would love to upgrade them!

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Could you explain what a reverse incremental is?

Thanks

Colin

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

5. AaronAnderson

bump for an official answer

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AaronAnderson,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Reverse Incremental backups are not on the road map, but I will create a special request at Customer Listening System (CLS).

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Perhaps someone could explain. I have never heard of reverse incrementals. Would not the penultimate incremental do exactly the same thing?

Xpilot

8. AaronAnderson

I recommend you read the wikipedia link above.

9. AaronAnderson

Thanks so much!

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Instead of having an "old" full and incrementals to update it to the current state of the system, the full is updated each time an incremental is done. The reverse incremental is stored to allow the now updated Full to be "undone" to the earlier state if desired (not to a later state as with the normal incremental). Faster to restore but longer to create because the full has to be modified.

The Wikipedia link above only makes sense if you know what it is to start with and your original interpretation from it is not surprising.

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Thanks Seekforever for the explanation.
    The concept of updating an image with changes is at total varience with the way TI home products and maybe enterprise products store base images and keep changes in seperate files.

As you say reprocessing each increment back to the previous updated image would take longer than the current TI method.
    Thinking sideways I wonder if a series of full images would take the same or even less time.

Xpilot

12. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I (now) know better than to say, "why would you even want to do something like that?" because not everybody works the way I do and often with good reason. However, the reverse incremental certainly isn't on my wish list and I always consider not modifying already created images to be a good thing.

13. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I forsee a problem that Acronis may take on the concept of reverse incrementals and build it into some future release.
    I just hope it never is implemented in any Home Version. These have been tarted up over the years and have become far too complex for what is supposed to be a user friendly system.

Xpilot

14. Cape Dave

Cape Dave Registered Member

Again, a time to be very very careful what you ask for. I am for making Acronis a more reliable and robust program then for adding "features of the day".

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your feedback.

We will take your opinion into consideration.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.