Are Pentium D really good?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I was just wondering if the Intel Pentium D really good enough compared to older Pentium 4. :rolleyes:

If one is just an ordinary surfer, do u think Pentium D is one good upgrade? or it's just useful only for those using their pc for multi-tasking like video editing or CAD work? o_O :rolleyes:

At present, I was still using Pentium 4, but thinking to upgrade to Pentium D. But it also needs changing my motherboard to accomodate this new processesor. :blink:

2. Nick_morris

Nick_morris Registered Member

I found a marked impovement upgrading my home PC from P4 3.4GHz to Pentium D Dual core 3.0GHz and Asus Motherboard last February, in fact my work PC is a new Intel Core Duo and is not a lot faster than my home PC. The Pentium D's are really good value at the moment. Put one one your Christmas list. You won't be dissapointed.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If you're going to go dual core, why not just get a Core 2 Duo? They're actually relatively inexpensive for being the latest and greatest.

4. Nick_morris

Nick_morris Registered Member

What do you call reasonable price?
    Last time I looked you could get a Pentium D 3.45GHz for £140-00
    Intel Core Duo 2.93GHz £630-00 If you can get these cheaper please let me know.

5. charincol

charincol Registered Member

Having looked at a couple different performance benchmarks between the Pentium D and the new Core2Duo and AMD's X2, the Pentium D 3.4Ghz can't even come close to the Core2Duo 1.8Ghz and the faster Core2Duos absolutely blow the pants off anything AMD has right now.:eek: The Core2Duo 1.8Ghz is comparable in performance to AMD's X2 4200.

The Core2Duo 1.8Ghz is around $180(US) and the Pentium D 3.4Ghz is about $170 - $235(US) right now depending on the model.
    (The AMD X2 4200 is around $200)

I wouldn't waste the money on a Pentium D until Intel drops their prices to more reasonable levels based on less demand now that Core2Duo rules. If they never do, than just get the Core2Duo 1.8Ghz. It is a better "value" CPU than any Pentium D's or anything from AMD right now. (This is the first time I have EVER wanted an Intel CPU over AMD for my personal PC.)

6. charincol

charincol Registered Member

This is true, but you can get better performance over the Pentium D 3.4Ghz for cheaper.

Even the Core2Duo 2.4Ghz outperforms the best AMD X2 at about $100 cheaper.

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Charincol beat me to it :) The Core 2 Duo is definitely faster, despite lower clock speeds. Intel is going the direction AMD has been for some time, which is to focus on cache and efficiency rather than clock speed. As Charincol noted, they start at $180, and the lowest of the ones with 4MB cache is around $300 (not bad for a pretty much high end processor, the only faster procs are the higher model Core 2 Duos) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0001157 1050722265&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=343

The Pentium D has been pretty well superceeded. If you could get the E6600 (the $300 one), it would probably keep you happy for some time to come... especially with Vista coming about. I haven't tried it, but I've heard that they're pretty over-clockable as well, along with some of the DDR2 RAM, if you're into that. Read the newegg user reviews for some good insights.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

For surfing, email, office & other general PC usage the older P4 (even P3) is more than enough, and yes the dual core CPU's are for things that multi-task.

Fill your PC up with ram for upgrade :)

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Don´t buy a dual-core if you have less than 1 GB of RAM ;)
    Low-end Core 2 Duo and AMD X2 are very well priced

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.