Are passwords saved on Android phone a security risk...?

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by Addelam, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Addelam

Addelam Registered Member

...by remote access?

Obviously, I get that anyone in physical possession of the phone has access if you don't set PIN, biometrics etc.

Tbh I have several email accounts on my handset and it is a PITA getting through each one and tweaking settings.

And I cannot see a way to remove passwords already stored.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

passwords are stored in the app where used. except you use another method, on samsung phones you can use samsung password manager. app storage is save against attacks when phone is not rooted, but when copy&apste each in background running app can grab passwords if it has the rights to do so. thats why sophiticated password apps offer a virtual keyboard, like keypass2android.

and ofc, if your phone is not secured with eg. smart lock, biometrics or fingerprint, face recognition etc anyone can get access with ease.

it does not make sense to think about special app security if the phone itself is vulnerable. this includes unknown hotspots.

to remove password clear app memory - which ofc the app will lose anything, or RTM for the used password manager.

"remote access" means hacked, either sniffed -> unknown hotspots or by near field communication which means anybody around you. in case your android build run out of support this could be critical.

3. Addelam

Addelam Registered Member

I have a PIN and biometrics set as security on my phone.

It is actually Samsung and I think Samsung password manager has stored some passwords as well. Either way, I want to get rid of Samsung's passwords and any in-app passwords as I have a third-party password manager that syncs across all my devices.

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

go to your samsung account settings. (i cannot tell you how, i dont use it)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.