are CollectedData files in HelpCtr folder necessary in XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I happened to take a look at the list of most fragmented files on my computer and on top of the list were some of the ones on the screenshot below

There are 91 files in all, and total less than 2 mb. Really not going to effect performance, but if someone knows off the top of their head what function they serve, and what would happen if I deleted them that would be great!

- HandsOff

Attached Files:

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi HandsOff,

I found this http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winme/t1056419937
    So I tried and see if I could delete them in XP. That works if your account has Administrator rights.
    I still have them in my trashcan, just in case. There should also be a History .xml file in the same folder.
    It seems logical that should be deleted as well since it links to all the other files.
    I'm not sure if I would advise you to do the same. I have a recent backup, so in case of trouble I can save my rear end. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

[EDIT]Made a lot of typos. Not sure if it is related :D[/EDIT]

3. HandsOff

Hi Pieter, it looks like they are talking about Windows ME, but i guess that it holds true for XP as well. The responder refers to them as "useless". I am guessing the system is storing data will need to be updated anyway. Well, I'm just going to delete them.

Thanks for the information. I am in the O/S streamlining mode again. Hopefully I won't go overboard.

- HandsOff

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Those files must not be very important because in my xp pro that folder is empty and I have never manually emptied it.

5. HandsOff

BigC, I almost fell out of my chair! Files in XP that are not important! I'm having my girl call Bill's girl, and we are going to get to the bottom of this.

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.