Are bit-torrents & seeding a risk.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AaLF, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Never actually used a bit torrent before. But I need to download a lot large files. And a "quick & easy" once only way offered is a 'bit torrent'.

What does this seeding (below) entail & is there a downside to this??

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Depends on what you're sharing. Barely any more risk (if any) than torrenting in the first place.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Seeding is just uploading downloaded torrent. Nothing special.
    Risks? As with any download of any content.
    Can be great, can be bad.
    Mrk

4. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I don't mind sharing if its only restricted to these specific files I will download via bit-torrent. This 'seeding' is not permitted to sniff out anything else on the HDD Yes/no?

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Just the directory you define. But if you define your user and export torrents of your user/dir/home contents, then ... anything is possible. Up to you. So restrict it to something like e:\mypr0n2003, and you'll be fine.
    Mrk

6. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

The trouble with torrents ( especially large ones ) is they can be very slow.
    Also if you are downloading something you shouldn't be, you may get caught. Seeding , is when you upload the file you downloaded to other leechers.
    Perhaps you should consider using a usenet site. You have to pay for these, although you could cancel your subscription, and just pay for one month. Payments vary , newsdemon will cost approximately £6 for a month , with unlimited downloads, or £ 9 with a vpn. These are direct downloads ( much quicker ) and there is no seeding
    You will need to use a usenet (nzb) seach engine to look for you files

7. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

not true. bittorrent was created to share large files. it all depends on seeders/leachers.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes. I always use bittorrent in virtualized mode (using Shadow Defender), and scan for malware all downloaded files.

Recently, I was downloading a Windows 8.1 ISO from a site posted in Windows 8 Forums. Suddenly a blue screen appeared with a message "Windows closed to protect your computer ..." and the computer rebooted normally. I tried two more times, and the same happened, every time in different points in the same download. This had never happened to me when downloading with BT.

9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You only share files that you downloaded by torrent. To share something else you have to create torrent for that files and share created torrent with other users. Files that are not shared that way are inaccessible to others.

hqsec

10. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Have you downloaded large files like that windows iso before while in shadow mode?

Is possible SD write cache reached the limit..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.