Are AV & Firewall needed in Linux?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

The distro is PCLinuxOS-2007. I'll connect with a serial ext US Robotics modem. So no router.

To be safe do I need an AV & a Firewall? And if so freeware suggestions please.

I'm a risky surfer.

My VERY limited experience has shown me changes/settings/preferences made in user acct. are gone or don't take when rebooted.

So I'll probably logon as root all the time.

Just like I like I'm always ADMIN in XP.

Thanks.

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi zapjb:

A firewall is needed for linux. I believe PcLinuxOS has shorewall as it's default FW, and you can get Firestarter or Guarddog from the synaptic package manager. I have firestarter on Ubuntu and it is fairly simple to use.

Many members do not believe an av is necessary and they are probably right, but I run avast free on-demand scanner occasionally just to be sure. There is also avg free for linux and clamav, which should be available from synaptic.

IMHO, Logging in as root all the time negates one of linux's security features. Many would consider just suggesting that to be heresy. :eek:

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yes I mentioned this because I want feedback. I mean am I correct in saying, "changes/settings/preferences made in user acct. are gone or don't take when rebooted."? Then whats the point if I can't make changes/settings/preferences stick?

And Avast has a free Linux AV. Is it only ondemand & not realtime?

I know Bit Defender does also have a free AV for Linux. I wonder if thats ondemand or rt as well.

I heard FProt does have a free Linux AV as well?

4. steve161

your system should ask you for a password every time you attempt something that requires root privileges. And root should only be granted for that one time. What changes did you attempt as user? On ubuntu, nothing really can be done as user, and I would always get a prompt telling me as much.

Avast is on demand, as are most linux based av's, but I believe avg free is real-time.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

All browser changes for now. Including bookmarks, addons, themes etc.

6. steve161

It sounds more like a browser problem than a user problem. You should be able to make those changes as user, or at least be prompted by your system telling you that you can't. Are you saying that the problem goes away if you run as root? If that is the case, I have no idea why that would happen. I guess you will have to wait for the linux calvary to arrive.

Edit: FYI, I have made those changes to firefox and Opera with ubuntu as user, no problems.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

The WHOLE idea of Linux is that you run as a user with 100% effectiveness!!
    There is NO reason whatsoever to run as root.

You can use firewall if you have some services listening, but it's not as acute as Windows - especially if you patch your system frequently. But you can use, it does not hurt.

AV is totally unnecessary.

Mrk

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I don't understand what you're talking about, is PCLOS installed on HD or you running LiveCD ?

For firewall PCLOS has Shorewall, make sure you're connected to the net because it needs to download "mandi-ifw" rules for Interactive Firewall. PCLOS Control Center> Security> Setup personal firewall> make sure all boxes are unchecked (unless you want something accessing the net), click "ok".

If you don't want Shorewall, Firestarter is in Synaptic package manager.

You don't need an AV for Linux, IMHO

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Right now I'm running Firestarter (Full Stealth!) & user acct. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.