Are all recovery disks the same?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hiawatha, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiawatha

Hiawatha Registered Member

Is the recovery disk that I make in any way unique to my system?

In other words, if my system died and my recovery disk was found to be faulty, could I simply find another ATI user (of the same build) and borrow his recovery disk?

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

I cannot see why that would not work unless the recovery disk is stamped, somwhere, with a serial number and designed to recover only images created with that serial number. However, reading through one of Acronis official posts, I don't think that such a problem would occur.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Hiawatha,

No, the bootable rescue CD isn't unique to your system in any way. It's content is only specific to the version/build of TI that created it. In other words if you upgrade or update TI then you need to create a new rescue CD.

Regards

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

The Rescue CD is not system dependant, but it is Build dependant.

Meaning, that you won't be able to restore an image created with Build 3567 or later with a Rescue CD created from a pre-3567 Build, since the image file format has been changed starting TI Build 3567.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello there Menorcaman,

It seems telepathy makes the two of us start at the same time, only you type faster... :D :D :D

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi there bVolk,

Ah, but you included the important bit that I forgot to mention, namely that the file system changed with Build 3567. Perhaps a case of more haste equals less speed :D :D.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.