Arconis for Linux

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by silvaman, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silvaman

silvaman Registered Member

Hi

I am new user of Arconis and have a few questions regarding the bare metal restore. I am using an evaluation Linux version of this product. The build number says 879. It also says for Redhat 8 - we ha

The image I needed to restore was on a NAS which is on a different subnet to the server I am restoring to. The network is gigabit.

I burned the rescue cd as instructed and booted the server. Trueimage started normally although I could not see any of the computers around me or any nfs servers. I assumed that Trueimage would do some sort of broadcast/dhcp request to gain this info for the local LAN...is this true? I made this assumption because of what I found after switching to the virtual terminal and looking via busybox.

Once at the shell prompt in busybox I saw that when Trueimage started scanning for networks it wrote a resolv.conf file to the /etc directory ....however the file was empty. In order to be able to reach my NAS server I had to

1.configure the network interfaces with an ip using ifconfig
    2. add a route
    3. populate the resolve.conf file
    4. create a /etc/hosts file because if i tried to ping i would get a 'resolver error'

by this point I thought it quicker to manually mount the share on the NAS from inside busybox - this eventually worked. I then went back to the Arconis GUI and was able to browse to the image which I had mounted under the /mnt directory. The restore proceeded after this point and the server was recovered.

I didnt see any documentation outlining the above steps ...I was in a bit of a rush! I know it worked in the end but I just wondered if it should have worked differently..I have seen a quite a few posts regarding the rescue cd not doing what it should - I have to document this for guys who are not used to linux command line. If I did miss documentation regarding this, my apologies and feel free to flame me accordingly ;)

Many Thanks

2. AlexM.

AlexM. Registered Member

I have to admit I've never used an Acronis rescue CD, but using the Windows CD to boot from lets you set up a network interface from within the gui (if DHCP doesn't take care of it for you).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.