ARCHIVES RETAIN WIPE ACTIONS PERFORMED

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by EASTER, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I found that after a RESTORATION file wipe on any snapshot and then the subsequent renaming of file records, that i at-once copy/update to archives to preserve & keep that disk wiping intact over to the archive of it.

Does FD-ISR indeed duplicate and retain this activity onto it's archives? Because thats yet another great benefit of FD-ISR that saves time for me instead of spending the time after each session to perform this procedure.

Also the same question applies to Defragging. I use Ultimate Defrag to strategically make file placements and i expect when done, this snapshot simply transfers anything performed in this matter onto the archive after a Copy/Update.

Thanks

2. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings EASTER,

Yes, since we are file based with our archiving (vs. cluster or sector based) we save off your files as files. This gives the flexibility that you noted, and you can restore the archive to a different sized partition. ex: you rebuilt your computer but increased or decreased the System(C) partition.

Also, if you just defrag'ed the partition, the archives files would be restored fairly defragmented (I say fairly, since it is Windows deciding where to put it). If we did a cluster restore, it would lay down the data in the same fragmented state as when the backup was taken. Of course, the solution with a clustering backup would be always just defrag your system before the backup was made.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I found doing a perfect defrag, before any type of backup, upon restore there can be a very small degree of fragmentation. Same is true from restoring from archive.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Excellent

Thanks for confirming and noting this. I like to archive as clean a one as machine possible thereby returning in the same manner as when made.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.