Archive update

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by WWS, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWS

WWS Registered Member

This might not be new information but here goes.
    I imported an archived snapshot from my #2 drive to #1 drive choosing the destination as <New Snapshot>
    Took about 20 minutes then I booted to it.
    While working in this snapshot, I screwed up my email program to the point it wouldn't work at all.
    Well, I thought, I'll just boot out of this snapshot, delete it and re-import it back again from the #2 drive.
    Wasn't necessary.
    I just imported the original one on the #2 drive into the one on #1 drive that I screwed up.
    Took less than 2 minutes to "reverse" update it undoing the damage I did to it after importing it the first time.
    Is that cool or what?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi WWS

Yes indeedie it is cool indeed. You can undo some unbelievable changes in minutes.

Wait til you crash and can't even get into Safe Mode. Then you will really experience "cool"

Welcome to the club,

Pete

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb: :cool:

Acadia

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Cool. Once you get in such situations, you really start appreciating FDISR.
    Once, I was stucked in an infinite reboot : reboot, BSOD, reboot, BSOD, reboot, BSOD, forever ... I didn't even see Windows starting and couldn't read the BSOD-screen either, it disappeared too fast. Where was the system restore of Windows to help me out?
    I pressed the F1 button on the FDISR Pre-boot screen, picked a healthy snapshot and I was back in business.

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Simillar situation. Just thought I'd share 'cause FD really bailed me out yesterday.

I was about to fix Winsock w/ WinsockXPFix. It suggested "backing up registry" I clicked "YES". Well... WinsockXPFix's reg BU had a fight w/ ERUNT. It was a tie between them and I came out the looser. I restarted and there was only a blank desktop. Nothing, Nada, Zilch...

Just power down, re-start and boot into seconday snapshot. Deleted primary, re-named seconday to primary and created new seconday. Back in business in 22min's.

Now that's Cool :)

...screamer

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Screamer, all that you had to do was use Secondary to Update the Primary, no need to delete; you would have been back up in 5 minutes. :cool:

Acadia

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The beauty of FDISR is that you don't need to be an expert to fix serious problems and you don't have to worry about trying new things with unexpected results.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Been in THAT loop myself. Loads of fun. Thats when FDISR really starts to grow on you.:D

9. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Thanks Acadia :) I learned that from reading WWS's post.

...screamer <---------- always learning

10. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

When comments like this start rolling off 'ErikAlbert's' tongue, it speaks volumes of this software.

11. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Everything in life is supposed to work that way. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.