Archive question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by WWS, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWS

WWS Registered Member

I have two archives on a partition on my second hard drive.
    Only one shows on the drop down list. Can FD be made to show both on the drop down list?

Attached Files:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If they are in the same partition they should both show. Make sure the file extension is right. Should be arx

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

WWS,
    Yes you can. How do you create archives at this moment ? Which function do you use : export or copy/update ?

If you click on Tools / Options / Archives-tab, what do you have there ? Totally blank or do you have an archive-folder there ?

4. WWS

WWS Registered Member

Extensions on both archived snapshots are .arx
    Both created by using "export."
    This one shown is in folder on H drive and the other is not in a folder but it is on H drive, too.

Attached Files:

5. Peter2150

Okay. The both have to be in the same place, and where you specify on the options setting. Alternately you could change the setting to access the other one.

Pete

6. ErikAlbert

In that screen you specify the harddisk and folder, where all your archives will be stored. For instance : H:\FDISR Archives, you have to create this folder first on H:
    If you don't like the folder use "H:\" as folder. In that case all your archives will be stored in the root of harddisk H:
    Then you move all *.arx-files to that folder.

Use copy/update from snapshot to <new archive> to create an archive and FDISR will put it automatically in the archive folder and make them visible under Archived Snapshots on the main screen of FDISR.

It's quite simple you know, but you made it complicated.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

To spare a bit of bandwidth in opening a new topic, this one looks reasonable enough to expand on another question regarding FD-ISR archiving.

Here's another one but shouldn't be so difficult.

Since some virtual drive apps use a file to create their partition/drive, and since the same also allow it to be formatted with NTFS file system, then there shouldn't be any problem in placing a FD archive into it right?

That thought just occurred although i'm not quite sure how practical it would be, something along the same lines as saving archives to .ISO files maybe?

Curious.

8. ErikAlbert

I'm not familar with this and it's normally not used in FDISR either.

The main problem is that beginners often use the function "Export" for creating archives, because they don't find the word "Archive" or "Backup" in the menus of FDISR and copy/update doesn't sound like "Archive" or "Backup" either, so they won't use it, at least not in the beginning.
    Since many other software have a function "Export" to export data to a file, beginners assume that the function "Export" of FDISR is similar and exports a snapshot to another file.

If beginners would have paid more attention to the Destination Screen, while they were creating the secondary snapshot during installation, they would have seen this : <new archive> and that's how I knew that I could create archives this way.

Beginners also use DVD's to store archives sometimes and that makes any later copy/update (= refreshing) of archive impossible.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  9. WWS

WWS Registered Member

OK.
    Got it.
    Thanks, guys.

Attached Files:

• fd.jpg
      fd.jpg
      File size:
      10.6 KB
      Views:
  10. Peter2150

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just not sure I see any point to it. Value of archives is to get them physically off the c: drive.

11. ErikAlbert

Yes, you got it. It looks alot better than the very first screen. :cool:

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The point in it Pete is that there really is no point. :)

This is yet another shining example of the beauty of (imagination) if you will in experimenting with ALL the different possibilities of deploying/storing these wonderful snapshot duplicates known as archives, something i here tell that HDS is seen fit to eradicate completely from it. Indeed.

I suppose if there were to be any redeeming quality for practicing such a method on a regular basis it might be purely cosmetic or just because it can be done, or perhaps it may be for some it might offer them the privacy of tucking their archives into this hidden file/drive for just that purpose.

Also since any shelf for FD-ISR archives MUST contain an NTFS file system, what better way then this to either burn the file to a DVD or even a Pen Drive, and since it's file system will be recognized by FD-ISR, a simple Copy/Update either from or to it should go off without a hitch once it's mounted again with a drive letter.

Possibilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.