Archive Open Error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by waltkos, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Waltkos,

I understand that this is a problem that needs to be solved, is there any reason why in the meantime you need to 'explore' rather than mount?

I still suspect there is a corrupt file somewhere on your system that is causing this problem. I realise that TI 10 doesn't have a problem in this area - but TI 11 has changed some background stuff - such as the algorithm the tib file uses - so it might be that TI 10 is immune to the underlying problem.

Are you up to date on the service packs from MS? Are you using an OEM version of XP or a retail copy? Is your computer a brand name of a Heinz 57?

As I mentioned somewhere in post 21, I can explore an archive using TI 11 build 8053 - but the contents appear empty.

Do you have any other utilities that run in the background that check things like program installation, registry alteration, malware etc? I'm not sure why, but it might be worth disabling InCD or similar if you have them running.

Do you have MS Indexing running? Perhaps killing non essential process in task manager might help to pinpoint where the problem is occuring.

Colin

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

I've studied closely what you did and thanks for the detailed info.
    The only thing i can add to what bodgy has already asked and suggested is whether the uninstall of TI10 was complete, and i know that suggestion might make you want to throw things at me but i said it anyhow.

I tend to agree with bodgy that something is corrupt somewhere. Can you copy any files out of the image (you said you can mount it) to some temporary place, like whole chunks of folders to see if that works.

3. waltkos

waltkos Registered Member

Before I answer questions, the first time I uninstalled TI 10 I used the programs 'Remove' function. Then I installed TI 11 for the first time and found the 'explore' problem so I used the TI 11 programs 'Remove' function. I then restored my C partition from a known good saved image that had TI 10 on it.

The second time I removed TI 10 I used the 'manual' removal directions found on this forum. I then installed TI 11 and once again had the explore error. So, whether I used the 'remove' function or the 'manual delete' method to remove TI 10 it made no difference in how the TI 11 explore function worked when it was installed.

This morning I once again restored from the backup image that has TI 10 on it.

Colin,

1. Can I mount rather than explore? Yes, but, that would be a workaround rather than a fix. My concern is about using a program with a known problem from the very first day that it was installed and what that just might foretell about the possibility/probabilty of more problems in the future. I would prefer to get TI 11 working without any errors. If not, I know that TI 10 is reliable and I can use it without any concerns at all.

2. I have a reliable Emachine with an OEM XP Pro installation that is current with all Windows updates.

3. Aside from a dsl broadband connection with a router, and Windows firewall active, the only 'resident' protection I have is Avira Anti-Virus program running in the background.
    4. Don't have InCD or similar.

5. MS indexing is disabled and there are no non-essential processes and/or services runnning.

Sparky,

I have not yet reinstalled TI 11 so right now I can't try what you suggest: "copy any files out of the image (you said you can mount it) to some temporary place, like whole chunks of folders to see if that works". Although that might provide some more information, it would not solve the explore problem.

4. waltkos

Since I posted message #28 I uninstalled TI 10 using the Windows Add Remove Program function and rebooted. I then shutdown and restarted with a TI 11 rescue CD. I created an image that has no TI programs installed. After that I booted to windows and installed TI 11. I created an image with it installed.

Results for both of the images I created with TI 11:

Mount and unmount work with the program and with the right click selection.

Mount with read and with read/write both work.

With mount in read/write I altered a text file, played music, and copied a folder to the desktop. An incremental image was created that reflected the text file change.

Explore does not work using the program or using a right click to select it.

Right click, 'Validate Backup Archive' launches and the selection can be okayed but then when I clicked on the Proceed bar no operation progress window launched and the HDD LED just kept blinking for a few minutes then stopped.

The validate function does work when selected when the program is opened.

So now explore is a problem and so is right click validate. Knowing that the program is faulty I'll not even try a restore.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK. Working in random order.

My TI 11 will right click validate a backup location archive. It does disappear into the ether if a cancelled backup location archive is chosen.

It does right click validate a named tib image not living in a backup location archive. There is one gotcha though - if an error has occurred TI does strange things until you open up the main program and acknowledge the 'log error'.

As far as Exploring is concerned, I don't get a right click Explore option - but that may or may not be down to the fact my file viewer is not Windows Explorer - from within TI I can explore an image, but the contents do not show - again this might be down to the file viewer, as on my other system running Echo and using Windows Explorer, I can open up the container.

UPDATE Using Windows Explorer I get the same result as you. The earlier builds of TI 11 worked - so something has died in the hook for MS Explorer - especially as Directory Opus will open the archive, report the file size, but present an empty container.

Just a note, if the images are cyclical incremental ones, and you choose an incremental that has yet to be overwritten - you will get a 'corrupt archive' message and the validate will fail.

Restore works on my system.

Sounds like a support ticket needs to be raised.

Colin

6. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

I've not tried it before but I do get a right click validate and explore with V11, and i tried it and it works fine - viewer is windows explorer. I never new you could do that thanks mate.

I'm surprised we had no Acronis comments at least yet - I'm out of ideas.

7. waltkos

I have decided not to use TI 11. I've wasted too much time on the "Archive Open Error" and I'm concerned about the right click validation's failure to show the Operation Progress panel and any result notification.

I also have some concerns about problems that other users have posted about TI 11 in this forum.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello waltkos and anyone who encountered the same problem,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that we have not heard about such problems of Acronis True Image 11 Home before and so we would like to investigate this one with your assistance, if you have time for this of course.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post (with Acronis True Image 11 Home installed).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files (including the screenshot of error message) and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. waltkos

Thanks Marat Setdikov but I reached my peak frustration level so I'm not not willing to invest more time in this.

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I've raised a ticket.

Colin

11. Acronis Support

Hello bodgy,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hi,

My ticket number is 1293479

regards

Colin

13. Acronis Support

Hello bodgy,

As I can see, you have been sent a reply with a registry patch that will (most likely) solve the problem. Please respond via e-mail if it doesn't help.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Thanks Marat,

The registry file didn't solve the problem. I've emailed support and sent them some screen shots.

Regards

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.