Archive not splitting

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Joe Zydeco, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Zydeco

Joe Zydeco Registered Member

Using TI 10 Home, Build 4940. I set the Tools>Options to split at 1GB, and that number shows in the backup window, but I end up with a single 4.5GB file. What am I doing wrong?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Try 1.0 GB instead of just 1 GB - just a guess.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Or a 1492MB setting will permit 3 files per DVD.

If using the Rescue CD, this must be set for each backup. Tools/options only applicable to images created in Windows mode.

4. Joe Zydeco

Joe Zydeco Registered Member

Seek & Grover, thanks for your suggestions, but they didn't work for me. When I entered "1.0 GB", it translated to "1 GB" and when I entered "1492MB", it translated to "1.457 MB" (go figure). But still, TI would not split the file for me.

I found the answer to the problem, but I don't like what I found. In the User's Guide, a sentence in Section 5.3.6 states: A backup destined for a backup location or Acronis Secure Zone cannot be split.

I was using a backup location because it lets me control the total number and/or size of the backup files allowed in a folder.

So I tried again, providing a plain old path for a destination, and it split just as I specified. Seems I have to choose either the advantage of split files or the advantages of the "backup location" concept. It's just my personal preference, but I prefer to burn a DVD in ISO mode rather than UDF, so I want the ability to split files down below the 2GB limit.

~Off topic comments removed~

And thanks again to you folks for offering to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Thanks for posting the reason. I use Ti9 which doesn't have "backup locations" and I had forgotten about the Secure Zone. Your problem is of no consequence when archives are stored in the Secure Zone because you can't access them to make a copy to DVD anyway.

FWIW, I always split at 1492 MB like GroverH mentioned since 3 fit nicely on a DVD and you get to use the ISO file system rather than UDF. I agree it isn't a big deal but just the way I like it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.