Archive deletion when cancelling backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sneuberg, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sneuberg

sneuberg Registered Member

I just upgraded to True Image 2009. I have a scheduled task to back up when I shut down my computer. With my previous version (True Image 11), if I cancelled a backup, the task would often gobble up memory until it failed with an error message.

This problem seems to be fixed in True Image 2009. But now if I cancel it deletes the archive, e.g., if I currently have:

Mybackup.tib
    Mybackup2.tib
    Mybackup3.tib

They are all gone the next time I boot my computer. This is not good. Anybody know what’s going on here?

Since I first posted this, I tried to duplicate the problem and found the problem didn't occur with a single full backup. So I tried it with a full back up and one differential and it still didn't occur. However with a full backup and two differential backups it happened. I know this sounds weird and it may have to with how soon I cancel after the backup has started. I'm not sure, but I've been able to duplicate the problem three times, so it's real.

PS: My computer is running on Windows XP and I have True Image 2009, build 9709

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sneuberg,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Could you please clarify the following?

Do the archives disappear from the program window only, or do they disappear physically? In other words, are you able to see the archives by means of Windows Explorer? Also, could you please clarify where the backup files are placed (whether they're on internal, external, or network hard drive)?

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. sneuberg

The files disappear physically and are located on an internal SATA drive.

4. Acronis Support

Hello sneuberg,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please let us know your e-mail address via PM, we need some diagnostic files from you. We will try to reproduce the issue

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

5. paulja

paulja Registered Member

Hello,

I had same problem several times.

E.g.: Backup is running (TI 2009 / rel. 9646) on internal Sata-Drive. Now an immediately shut down of system is needed. So I cancel running backup via ATI button and get a confirmation.

Then I do a correct system shut down. Everything seems to be allright.

After coming back home restarting the system: all previous backup files were deleted physically from drive.

System is Intel 775, P45, ICH 10-Chipset, Vista 32 SP1, actual drivers, very stable.

Backup MUST no be deleted before new one has been validated.

It seems to be a hard engineering layout prob of the software...

It's unsafe and risky. Sorry for that.:thumbd:

Think what happens if in such situation a crash of original drive...

paulja

6. NHN

NHN Registered Member

TBH this did this kinda thing on previous versions aswell, I'm guessing its basically cause the 4th time its backing up is to a new full backup, so its already has a script thats run saying delete the previous full backup & 2 incremental/differentials, so effectively it isnt seeing the cancel command in the programming, it just assumes its finished correctly thus deletes the files & expects there to be a new full backup there, thats my analogy anyway, so maybe a programming change needed so it doesnt remove the files when cancel selected on new full backup, if that makes any sense.

7. sneuberg

I think I figured out what going on here. In my back up task I have it create a new backup after two differential backups and have checked the option to delete old archives.

I watched my backup drive during a backup when I had a full backup and two diffential backups. The first thing that happens is the old backups are deleted and then it proceeds to create a new backup. In my mind this is just plain wrong as until it's finished creating the new backup, the user has no backup at all. I believe it would make a lot more sense to create the new backup first and then delete the old archives.

I have an open case with Arcronis concerning this issue and I'm trying to convince them this is a bug. It certainly isn't a good feature. As a minimum users should be warned as to how this works. Anybody agreed with me?

8. Dave321

Dave321 Registered Member

I agree.

A nice touch would be to allow the user to select how this operates as part of the "Backup Options" when setting up the backup procedure. The default set to, delete previous backup upon successful competion of current backup.

9. Acronis Support

Hello all,

If somebody experience the similar issue with the backup deletion, please let us investigate it.

Please contact us via PM among with the serial number and link to this thread, we will request some diagnostic information from you in order to investigate the situation and check whether it should be forwarded to Experts for reproduction.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

10. paulja

paulja Registered Member

Hello, Acronis staff,

I would like to read something about the results of examining the above mentioned failure. o_O

Thanks

paulja

11. Acronis Support

Hello paulja,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image Home 2009

You will be contacted with resolution via e-mail as soon as possible. We apologize for any delay you might experience in the meantime.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.