archive "corrupt" or not?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Scopacetic, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

I need to restore my last archive due to a botched scanner installation. Can't go forward or backward with it. I have been doing weekly differential backups on an external USB2 drive using ATI build 3677. I have checked the archives through Windows version of ATI and they're fine. But when I boot with the Rescue disc, it says all archives are corrupt, and it "knows" this instantly. I'm pretty sure that they aren't corrupt, but I'm afraid to try to restore with that message, and not sure if it would even let me try, though it seems like it would as I can continue along the recovery dialog without further warnings.

Of note, I have done restores before with the same system and drive, don't recall if earlier ATI 9.0 or version 8.0, and never had a problem like this (just that the mouse wouldn't work. That works now, but of little consolation).

Should I ignore the warning? On another thread, I'm looking for help in setting up a BartPE disc.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Is your rescue disk the same version as your Windows TI, ie, did you make a new rescue CD when you upgraded TI?

TI versions prior to build 3567 cannot read and understand archives made with 3567 or later. If this is the case, make a new CD.

If this isn't the problem are you able to copy the files from the USB drive to another partition on your internal drive that you aren't restoring? If so, copy all the necessary files and try to validate on the internal HD.

If you try to restore without validating, TI will delete the partition(s) and then attempt to restore from the archive. If it can't, and this is likely if you can't validate the archive, you will be left with nothing but unallocated space.

3. Scopacetic

Rescue created with build 3677. The backups were made with build 3633. The build 3633 rescue disc gives the same error.
    The initial backup is 65 GB, too big for the free space available on my other SATA drive partition.

The backup drive is on a hub. I will try plugging it directly to the USB port on the back of the computer. Any other thoughts? Is nobody else having this problem? Image checks out fine through Windows, but not through rescue? Anyone from Acronis support around?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, get the USB drive off the hub and plug it in the back where the cabling tends to be shorter.

Bad RAM, even though you don't notice any problems with regular PC work, can be the cause of a corrupted archive indication.

Try runninng Memtest86+ free from www.memtest.org for several passes, preferably overnight. Windows and Linux don't map the memory in the same way do it is possible for the validate to work in Windows and not Linux.

Your system should not be overclocked and the memory timings should not be aggessive.

You could look in the XP Event Logger, system log, but I don't think you'll see anything there but it certainly is easy to check.

5. Scopacetic

Just tried repositioning to directly off the USB port without hub: No difference. I'm going to work on the BartPE solution now and see if I have any more luck. My system is not overclocked or overly aggressive in BIOS, but I will give the memory test a go tonight. Seems like a long shot, but got to be methodical about it.

6. Scopacetic

BartPE worked fine. Able to verify and restore with BartPE, so clearly none of the images are bad.I haven't yet checked the memory as I am now working on the original problem, which was getting my HP scanner to install. I'll post back my memory result when available. But seems like a problem with Linux rescue disc's misreading of a good image.

7. Scopacetic

I ran Memtest86+ overnight. wall time 9:04:23. 15 passes, no errors.

At least for my system, I think this proves that there is something wrong with the implementation of the Linux based recovery CD. Every time something is fixed with a new build, it seems like something else is broken. Old versions of my rescue disc see my old archives and see them as noncorrupt. The new discs (last couple of builds at least) call the same archives corrupt. BartPE version works fine. Acronis Support: Is this news to youo_O

8. Menestheus

Menestheus Registered Member

I'd like to hear a response from Acronis on this as well.

9. Menestheus

Menestheus Registered Member

Has this issue been resolved for you yet?

10. Scopacetic

Never heard from tech support. It was resolved for me by using BartPE instead. That was the only solution. Archives clearly aren't corrupt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.