April 2008 WinXP Windows Update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by alglove, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Hey, all. I just wanted to pass along something that I found with the April 2008 Windows Update for WinXP. The following updates would not install:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB941693)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB948590)

Whenever they would download, they would fail the verification, with an error code of 0x80072F78, which apparently means "ERROR HTTP INVALID SERVER RESPONSE", according to http://www.fermu.com/content/view/207/37/lang,us/ . Once I discovered this, I temporarily disabled the Web Access Protection portion of NOD32 v.3, and the updates installed just fine.

For whatever it is worth, I do have Internet Explorer set to filter in active mode, if that has anything to do with it. Again, I just wanted to pass this along, in case it helps anyone else in the future.

2. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

Thanks alglove - that was thoughtful of you.

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Hey, everyone. It seems that I had the same trouble trying to install WinXP SP3 from Windows Update. Since no one else seems to be complaining about it, I figured it was something peculiar to my NOD32 setup. Here is what I discovered:

In the process of tweaking NOD32 when I installed it months ago, I had set "Antivirus and spyware" --> "Web access protection" --> "HTTP" --> "Web browsers" --> "Active mode" to include C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe . This process is used by Windows Update, among other things. As it turns out, this was the cause of the trouble. Once I removed this program from the "Active mode" list, Windows Update no longer failed.

The moral of this story? Sometimes, setting your antivirus scanner to scan too aggressively really will cause problems. :ouch:

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thank you. It's not just me. I had the same exact experience with the 3 updates. On the advice of someone in the Dell windows XP forum, I downloaded the 3 updates to disk and installed them from there. I wish I had seen your post earlier. On your advice from your other post, I unchecked svchost.exe in active mode of NOD v3.650. :D

Last edited: May 12, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.