Applocker, DEP, LUA, SEHOP. Do I still need an antivirus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pain of Salvation, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Ok, I have Windows 7 x64, Applocker, LUA, DEP enabled for all software and services, SEHOP enabled, autorun disabled (Nick Brown's hack), Windows fully updated.

Do I still need an antivirus software? How can I get infected with this setup?

2. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

The only way you will get infected will be through user error (manually installing a piece of malware). Most likely you will get infected by installing a piece of software of which you presume is good but turns out to be a fake one (malware). The best thing about Applocker (and SRP) is that you don't have to update it against malware. For example, Applocker will protect you against the recent .lnk exploits (while there is still no patch available).

edit: No security will give you 100% protection, but with your current setup the chance will be very (!) small.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Only wilfully can you get infected with that setup. Otherwise, a nice free on-demand av like MBAM might be a good choice to scan downloaded content you wish to install.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
  4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

In the absence of using an anti-malware tool, there is no information available to the user to allow an intelligent assessment of whether that piece of software is good or malicious. Furthermore, if the software is assumed to be safe (but is malicious) and is installed on the PC, then there is also not a way to subsequently detect the error in judgment. For these reasons, anti-malware software is still required, in my opinion.

5. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I don't install software from suspicious sources. In fact, I rarely install new software in my system. My only concern is about malwares that requires no user intervention.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

That makes me think you do have common sense, so then I think that setup based on W7 x64 integrated features (LUA, AppLocker, DEP and SEHOP) is great. You could consider adding a good on-demand scanner, ranked down here:
    1. A great option could be Hitman Pro which also has a quick startup scan which can be quite good if you don't have realtime monitoring.
    2. Emsisoft Antimalware: since the last update you can select the freeware license in the startup. Which makes it an on-demand scanner with great detection. (You could also consider the portable Emsisoft Emergency Kit).
    3. Also an option, but in my eyes worse to the above mentioned is Malwarebytes. It surely is a great program, but the two above just have better detection.

7. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

I agree, I would keep Emsisoft emergency kit scanner on the pc to do an occassional full scan or to scan downloads with, Hitman Pro or using jotti.com or virustotal.com to scan downloads with before installing them is a good idea too IMO.

8. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

As others have already stated, no you don't need an av.. i've been running the same without problems and it was quite impossible to infect myself when i tried!; well unless you've really got it on your mind :D.. which you don't.
    It feels a bit awkward in the beginning but just smooth sailing after. Way better than the hit n miss approach of an av.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.