Application Rule Limit and Launching other applications warning

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by mrgrieves, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgrieves

mrgrieves Registered Member

Hello,

Every now and again LnS hits the limit for the number of applications it can cope with in its list. I don't have *that* many in there either. Is there anything I can do? (Obviously I go through and delete ones I don't think I need any more)

What would be really nice, is if in the "Allow/Deny" dialog, LnS had the option "just for now" like other firewalls. This is so useful if you either don't know the answer or are installing something and it's just a temporary file asking for permission.

Also, I'm a little disappointed that there hasn't been a single update since I bought LnS in December 04, when I think there are some very useful things (e.g. the above!) that could be added without bloating the app.

Thanks,

John

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

LnS does have this. in the allow/deny dialog box, there are two boxes; one says "Only this time" and the other "Only this session". if u dont see the two check boxes, maybe u need to enable Advanced mode?

3. mrgrieves

AHh, I hadn't switched Advanced Mode on! (To be honest LnS already looks a little advanced to me so the thought of an even more advanced mode was a bit scary...) I've done so now and will see what happens next time.

(I wonder if this should be enabled by default and not included in 'Advanced Mode' as I would imagine it's useful to pleb users like me and not just advanced users?)

Thanks very much for the quick, helpful reply! :)

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Are you sure all the 128 apps listed in the application list are really needed ?
    Perhaps you could remove some of them if you are not using some app each day.
    If you don't have 128 apps, perhaps you are not using a recent version of Look 'n' Stop ?

Regards,

Frederic

5. mrgrieves

Well I do periodically (i.e. when LnS tells me to!) remove them because there are a fair few that are temporary files. My main problem is that often I don't know what something in the list is (in retrospect).

Now LnS gives me the option not ro remember the setting, this should help.

But 128 doesn't seem like a very large limit to me, I would still question whether this cannot be extended. As a regular (non advanced) user, I don't really want to have to wade through the list deleting all the temporary apps that started other termporary apps. (As a non-advanced user I will probably not even know what most of these apps are for exceot at the time I answer Accept or Decline)

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Are you using a recent version of Look 'n' Stop ?

Normally a feature was added to have Look 'n' Stop automatically removes old entries (when the exe no longer exists). This should cover all temp apps.

Frederic

7. mrgrieves

I'm using 2.05p2 Oct 5 2004. As far as I know there's no official version later than this. (From the LnS home page, 2.05 still shows as the most recent version)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.