"Application Popup" - Machinecheck: Regs ..... Strange Event????

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jomsviking, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomsviking

Jomsviking Registered Member

Good day Wilders people

Maybe you can help me with this strange Event Viewer report.

I use Windows XP SP2 (Home Edition), fully patched. Yesterday I left the computer doing a routine quick check with SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS); I had no other application opened, except the "local area connection" box, as I had been checking the amount of received/sent bytes.

When I came back I found out that the computer had spontaneously restarted and was, as usual, waiting for a choice of user account.

I first thought that SAS had found malware and had rebooted the computer; I checked SAS´s logs and there was nothing there. Shouldn´t it have logged something if the scan had abruptely finished ?
    Further scans with AVG Anti-Spyware, AVG, Dr.Web CureIt and other utilities came up with nothing. The system shows no signs of malware behaviour.

Heat problems are out, as the computer is cleaned regularly. Also, no symptons whatsoever of faulty hardware.

I then checked the Event Viewer logs: there were no error messages, just an unusual reporting (marked as "Information", not as "Error") in the "System" folder: 10 instances (after the system restarted,during the regular initialization procedures) of "Application Popup", with the description:

[my windows is not in english] Application Superposition: Machine Check: Regs
    Event ID: 26

What and why is this ?!

The computer has not done any spontaneous restarts again, and is working normally. I have restarted it a couple of times and the above-mentioned "Application Popup" Information has not been present in the Event Viewer logs. Just that one time after the spontaneous restart.

I doubt that it has something to do with SAS. I have just done a full scan with it, comes up clean, no glitches.
    Maybe it´s one of those strange random windows behaviours ?

I tried googling this kind of event reference and found some links, but none of them came up with a definitive answer.
    Micro$´s KB didn´t yeld much either (most references are old and associated with 2000/2003 products).

As always, any thoughts are much appreciated.

I wish all a good day.

Jomsviking

2. Jomsviking

A slight BUMP, hoping that someone has some thoughts on this...

3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Common with some AMD processors. Harmless. Do you have an old 32bit XP series processor? AMD has a util to analyze the data in those events.

4. Jomsviking

Espresso, thanks for the info, but I have an Intel dual-core.

Anyway, it hasn´t happened again, so I gave it no more thought.
    Strange, though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.