application hangs when real-time scanning is enabled

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jmedley, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmedley

jmedley Registered Member

I have a customer who uses an application called Dentrix. It is a dentistry related program. One of it's features is to submit claims over the internet.

When NOD32 is set to do real time scanning, the application hangs trying to submit claims. It will just sit there in "Not Responding" limbo until I disable real-time scanning at which point it continues on as normal.

While the application is hung, ekrn.exe is pegging the CPU.

I have tried adding exclusions for the application folder in the program files files directory and the data folder on the network share.

I have tried turning off HTTPS checking.

Anyone have any ideas what else I might try to get this working? Currently I have uninstalled NOD32 on their main workstation and installed microsoft security essentials so they can get work done. It works fine! It however is unmanaged so this is just a temporary solution while I try to get NOD32 working.

2. jmedley

jmedley Registered Member

I contacted phone support and he got the answer right off. I needed to disable scanning of network drives under real time protection.

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Use process monitor to filter down to file system activity for ekrn.exe, then run the program where it hangs and see whats being accessed by the scanning kernel and that should point you towards the problem. Often where other programs work and Nod32 has problems is a result of other products not being as vigorous with the file system scanning. Eset takes a more aggressive approach which is good for overall product protection, but is more likely to hit file locking contention issues that cause program compatibility issues. Its just one of those trade-offs that you have to consider.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can check what file is being scanned under Protection status -> Statistics and exclude it from scanning if the number of scanned files is growing quickly while the name of the scanned file remains virtually same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.