Application Filtering not working

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by peterc, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterc

peterc Registered Member

My first post here I usually read other people's problems and can sort things out but this time I can't get the application filtering working even after applying the registry patch,. I found this thread and followed the instructions https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42318

I'm on dial up so it's a pain to apply patch then re boot and then dial up again...too many times now so I'm off to bed if anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it, maybe I'm tired and just missing something.

Thank you in advance

2. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I had once had a similar problem. So I applied the patch and it worked for awhile. But after installing a couple other security apps, app filtering failed again. So I tried the patch again but it gave me a message that the patch was already applied. So I removed all the apps from the app filtering list and turned on and off the app filtering feature (should be a checkbox for it) and restarted the computer. That's what worked for me to get app filtering working again.

3. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

LnS is one of the best. While I certainly don't mean to criticise it, the fact that we (may) have to apply a patch to ensure one of its critical features functions correctly, and even then, it may still not from the first post, is rather alarming. I didn't have this problem (running with nod32) and then one day it appeared and then had to apply the patch.

Is this issue going to be more permanently fixed in a proper update? In particular, for the average user who doesn't check out forums or carefully reads FAQs. The key thing is that this problem is hardly a minor issue :(

regards
    jag

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The problem is that the patch is only a workaround. It can't be included systematically for all users.

There was really a problem one or two versions ago, and this has been fixed in the 2.05 version.

Unfortunately, the problem is still occuring for some user and we don't know yet the root cause of it. Most of the time it appears after some other drivers are installed/removed (effectively when adding/removing some other security software).
    The problem seems specific to some users, it may be a conflict between TDI drivers installation.

Frederic

5. peterc

peterc Registered Member

Thank you for the replies and information I'll try what you stated worked for you rerun2....jag1967 and Frederic.

I received an email from the support department this morning with a suggestion to install over the top of LnS 2.05 and rebooted but that didn't work so I've zipped the registry information they asked for and emailed it back to them.

I had LnS 2.05 running smoothly when I trialled it for about 3 weeks or so, then I uninstalled it, I used jv16 Pwrtools to clean the registry, and installed Outpost Pro 2.1 again for which I have a licence but it expires in December, I decided I liked LnS better so I removed Outpost Pro 2.1, cleaned the the registry with jv16 again so maybe I've deleted something that I should not haveo_O?

Well I do know if the next solution doesn't work I can uninstall LnS 2.05 reboot I won't use jv16Pwrtls, run the registry patch first then install LnS again and see whether the application fitering works or not.

It's one of those quirky littles things that happen...I'm determined to get everything working again.

Thank you to everyone for their advice if I get it up and running I'll post the procedure as to how I did it.

peterc

:)

6. peterc

peterc Registered Member

Well I have uninstalled LnS 2.05 and re installed it, run the registry patch which always comes up as Problem 23 too many times and wasted too time trying to get it to work. The internet filtering appears to be working it's just the application filtering....it refuses to work.

I'll go back to using Outpost Pro v2.1 :(

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The patch only fixes a particular case. Unfortunately, the data in the registry could become wrong for many other reasons.

Please confirm there is no need now for us to examine the registry keys you sent yesterday.

Thanks,

Frederic

8. peterc

peterc Registered Member

Hi Frederic,

I'm back with Outpost Pro 2.1 for the time being I'll probably re format my drive and re install the O/S and install LnS from the start.
    I uninstalled all my security programs today and ran jv16Pwrtls and tried installing LnS but the application filtering didn't work only the internet filtering and the registry patch was the same message problem 23, I tried the other patch for Nav it said problem 12 so after numerous attempts I gave in.

Thank you very much for all the trouble you have gone to on my account when I'm back up and running with LnS I'll make a quick post here to say that all is ok with it. I've done something wrong somewhere between uninstalling LnS 2.05, putting Outpost pro 2.1 on, then removing it and then installing LnS 2.05 again.

Thank you for all your trouble I know it isn't your firewall just me I'll get it sorted out.

Peter C :)

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I’ve noticed there are quite a few folks who experience this Application Filtering anomaly, my sympathy goes out to all you.

I made little Info Fetcher for those who experience the Application Filtering anomaly and who’d like to participate in finding a solution once-and-for-all , download available LooknStop_Info_Fetcher.exe 10.8KB. Single executable, No Installation required, using only RegExport function to conveniently create 3 separate .reg files (LnS-Info_0.reg, LnS-Info_1.reg, LnS-Info_2.reg) in the main C:\ drive which includes only information necessary to better understand user’s problem. Simply execute, bundle up the three .reg files and E-mail it to me, E-mail is in file properties.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  10. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Thank you very much for that utility Phant0m, will be sure to use it the next time i run into this issue, if i ever do.

11. peterc

peterc Registered Member

Well I'm back with LnS 2.05 and application filtering is running smoothly I'll use your utility Phanthom it may be of some use to you to view my registry to see what happened.

What I did last night was to install Norman firewall 1.41 and used it for awhile surfing the net and testing at Sygate scan, PC Flank and GRC it passed all tests as stealth but as soon as the tests were finished the computer would freeze up, so after several reboots and logging on again I uninstalled Norman 1.41 and went to bed.

This morning out of curiosity I installed LnS 2.05 I ran the registry patch and this time there was no error message it was just 'ok'.

I'm logged in as Admin.

I re booted and dialed up and the application filtering was working all I had to do now was the usual with the Protocols disable it & allow WANARP then enable Protocols and then re boot, and dial up again.

The only part that I did different was in Options I checked 'common to all users' registry keys and now I've checked 'per user' and everything is still working.

This was left in the registry from Norman v1.41

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Norman Data Defense Systems\Npf_tdi_install

I use the ehanced rule set, I use all in Advance Options except for the 'raw log'

I password protect and lock.

I use XP home SP 1 and got the latest security updates for it last night, I'm waiting awhile before I put SP2 on I'll read the forums to see how it's going.

I have Nod 32 v2.12.2 data base 1.872, TDS,PE WG, SpyWareBlaster 3.2, SpyBot S/D 1.3 and adaware 1.5, I haven't put SpyCop v6 back on yet.

I use Proxomitron 4.5NJ with the Proxopatcher 3.6

When I read that you would think that it's a bit over the top but better to be safe than sorry.

So now I'm back again and everthing is running smoothly 'touchwood' I'm smiling again :D

Now I'll run that utility of yours Phanthom and mail to you.

Thank you to everyone for all their help

Peter C

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  12. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey peterc

I’ve successfully received your E-mail and analyzed the .reg files; your problem appears to have been successfully resolved, however at any time in the future you experience this particular anomaly again please send me freshly bundled .reg files for further analyzing.

P.S: rerun2, no problem. I just hate to see a fellow wounded LnS folks, had to lend a helping hand. However I’m not sure how long I can maintain that link, when in near future that becomes unavailable anyone may E-mail me requesting LooknStop_Info_Fetcher. Also in addition if anyone would like to host it at least until few users experiencing this Application Filtering anomaly and can participate to finally make patch that works for all, it would be much appreciated.

13. FatDunky

FatDunky Guest

Hi im also expericing this problem.... i tried the patch and it said problem 23, i also tried the infomation catcher but it the email failed because it said something about 550 blacklisted files in users account.

14. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Send us at lnssupport@soft4ever.com the two following registry keys, in a zip file:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GroupOrderList]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services]

Thanks,

Frederic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.