Application copy possible?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rendez2k, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I have an application on an old Win 98 laptop that I would like to copy off (its an old piece of software which is no longer available) and I'm wondering if theres and software which will grab the whole application along with any data files and registry entries so I can copy it to another machine?

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Maybe its me ,but never heard about such software.

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I've never heard of such software either.

Since installers are created specific for each application, it would be difficult to make sure you got all the right info. For some, it would mean getting the application, supporting files, .dll or .ocx files and re-registering them to your new system, registry entries, and several other variables. There are ways to do it, but its a real pain and takes time.

How extensive have you searched for this older piece of software? There are a couple sites that specialize in maintaining older software. Try these and see if it comes up.

[SIZE=-1]www.oldversion.com[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]www.oldapps.com[/SIZE]

HTH

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I know I am not much help here since I dont remember the name of the software, but I thought I ought to mention it so you can keep the hope :)
    There existed such software. I´ve used it my self when I had Win98. But that was...ages ago.. I remember it extracted all the files and the registry entries from the install to zip and it was a breeze to install it in the new computer.
    Good luck in your search :)

5. rendez2k

Thanks guys. I believe there was something Norton did years ago that could do application back-up. Also after much struggling today, I've actually managed to get an image of the HDD (done with Shadow Protect) running in VMWare - just need to sort some drivers sorted out now.... Not ideal but its better than loosing the software.

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

98 and XP ,huge difference,missing drivers,hope you sorted well,if manually done your well in for a sleepless night !

7. rendez2k

Luckily, VMWare has most of its own drivers so I've now got 98 running complete with sound, USB, network and graphics! Its working better than it did on the laptop and obviously I've managed to save the all important software. I forgot what a pain 98 was with USB though - even a simple memory stick needs drivers!

8. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

I think you can use the tool like Filemon and RegMon to capture the dll/ocx/registry logs when you run that app in Win98.

then copy the files that one used in the logs.

9. rendez2k

Arh, that might be worth a shot! Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.