Application access to the web.

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by flypast, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flypast

flypast Registered Member

:D Hello everybody!

Apologies in advance if this is a bit of a noob question.
    I've just moved over from outpost (too big and kept asking me stuff).
    With outpost when I granted access to something to have access to the web EG. Steam gaming, it would ask for a specific address and port etc to allow it for.
    On LNS I granted access to Steam (just authorised the popup box) which allowed me to log onto steam.
    But, when I went to look at the list of steam game servers I had to create a rule to allow UDP on a range of ports.

I've got no problem with this but I was just wondering...when you grant access to something (via application filtering) what exactly do you allow it to do?

Thanks
    FP

2. JF

JF LnS Support

Hello,

Look 'n' Stop performs filtering at two levels :
    • Application filtering (higher level)
    • Internet filtering, also called packet filtering (lower level)

So, to authorize an application to connect, authorizations are required at both levels.

When a new application tries to connect, Look 'n' Stop requests an authorization for the application filtering level only.

For the Internet filtering level, either the default ruleset already authorizes the ports used by the new application or not. If not, a new Internet filtering rule has to be added.
    Adding a new rule can be done by importing one from this page.
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/rules/rules.htm
    Adding a new rule can also be done through a right clic on a log event corresponding to the blocked port.
    New rules can also be created from scratch.

Two features complement Application and Packet filtering levels.
    - Application Filtering of a given application can be restricted to some port or IP address. (see help file for more details).
    - A given Internet Filtering rule may only be active when some applications are connected.

I hope this short explanation will help.

Regards,
    JF

3. Junyx

Junyx Guest

Hi!

well, i tried this, but it seems that applications like STEAM that only listen on UDP ports aren't working correctly.
    i expirienced that my rule to allow all UDP ports above 1023 is NOT enabled when STEAM is running (besides: STEAM is not visible in the "list of active applications").

is this somehow my fault or is there just an restriction in LnS regarding apps listening on UDP ports?

thx in advance...
    Junyx

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

No there is normally no restriction. Steam should be in the list of active applications.

If you add the popup dialog bow the 1st time you used Steam with Look 'n' Stop enabled, this indicates it was detected by Look 'n' Stop.

Are you sure the application filtering is still active ? perhaps the problem is there.

Frederic

5. Junyx

Junyx Guest

Hi!

well, i think it was some sort of glitch (bug!) in version 2.05p2.
    after installing 2.05p3 everything runs smoothly!

Junyx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.