Apple sued over 'shrinking' gadget storage

Discussion in 'hardware' started by roger_m, Jan 2, 2015.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

'The complaint has been filed in California by Miami residents Paul Orshan and Christopher Endara who say that iOS 8 can occupy up to 23.1% of the memory available on some Apple devices.' ~ op cit

Well, that is over a fifth of the available memory. I'm not sure how litigation will improve this though.

'In addition, upgrading devices from the earlier iOS 7 to 8 can cause people to lose up to 1.3 gigabytes of memory, said papers filed in support of the legal action.' ~ op cit

That is very nearly the equivalent of four entire Siouxsie and the Banshees concerts on MP4 files, or a complete Wagner opera.

'The amount of memory taken up by iOS 8 can mean users run out of storage and, the pair allege, this is helping Apple force people to sign up for its fee-based iCloud storage system.' ~ op cit

I suppose they could always switch to Android. It has yet to be proved that this is deliberate policy. If this sets a precedent, and Paul Orshan and Christopher Endara win their case, I wonder if this would pave the way for similar lawsuits against other companies?

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's how I feel about Ubuntu v14 vs v12 ;)

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Must be UIBS (Unix Inevitable Bloat Syndrome) lol!