Apple sued over 'shrinking' gadget storage

Discussion in 'hardware' started by roger_m, Jan 2, 2015.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

'The complaint has been filed in California by Miami residents Paul Orshan and Christopher Endara who say that iOS 8 can occupy up to 23.1% of the memory available on some Apple devices.' ~ op cit

Well, that is over a fifth of the available memory. I'm not sure how litigation will improve this though.

'In addition, upgrading devices from the earlier iOS 7 to 8 can cause people to lose up to 1.3 gigabytes of memory, said papers filed in support of the legal action.' ~ op cit

That is very nearly the equivalent of four entire Siouxsie and the Banshees concerts on MP4 files, or a complete Wagner opera.

'The amount of memory taken up by iOS 8 can mean users run out of storage and, the pair allege, this is helping Apple force people to sign up for its fee-based iCloud storage system.' ~ op cit

I suppose they could always switch to Android. It has yet to be proved that this is deliberate policy. If this sets a precedent, and Paul Orshan and Christopher Endara win their case, I wonder if this would pave the way for similar lawsuits against other companies?

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's how I feel about Ubuntu v14 vs v12 ;)

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Must be UIBS (Unix Inevitable Bloat Syndrome) lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.