"Apple software update threatens to kill your iPhone 6.."

Discussion in 'hardware' started by hawki, Feb 5, 2016.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Thousands of iPhone 6 users claim they have been left holding almost worthless phones because Apple’s latest operating system permanently disables the handset if it detects that a repair has been carried out by a non-Apple technician.........

Tech experts claim Apple knows all about the problem but has done nothing to warn users that their phone will be “bricked” (ie, rendered as technologically useful as a brick) if they install the iOS upgrade..."

http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Now that is just inexcusable, at least within reasonable terms.

3. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

It shows just why I avoid apple products. Expensive technology that is ultimately disposable. A company that has an image of being so hip and liberal and that, in fact, is filling the landfills of the world with expensive junk and putting planned obsolescence on steroids.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3030...illing-error-53-says-it-s-about-security.html

There'a a discussion at Apple's forums started by someone whose phone was bricked after updating it. After reading it, I have to say how patchetic it is how far some of the iPhone fans go to stick up for Apple, while ignoring the topic at hand - that the phone worked before the update was installed.

5. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I don't care for apple but I do have a few in the family and I see they have been already updated to iso 9.2.1 and all is well with them does that mean I shouldn't expect any problems?

6. roger_m

@daman1 If the phones are working fine after the update then all is well, and there's nothing to worry about.

7. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

thanks roger!

8. roger_m

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There's a good comment about this issue by tristanj at https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11047359
    The issue seems to be that iOS v8 partially ignores Error 53. The Touch ID sensor just doesn't work. But iOS v9 bricks the phone.

Maybe Apple overreacted to the risk with iOS v9 behavior. However, the fundamental issue seems to be that users and unauthorized service providers can't update the validation paring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.