Apple Says Allowing Sideloading on iPhone Would Expose Users to Serious Privacy and Security Risks

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by guest, Jun 23, 2021.

1. guest

guest Guest

Apple Says Allowing Sideloading on iPhone Would Expose Users to Serious Privacy and Security Risks
    June 23, 2021
    https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/23/apple-says-sideloading-poses-serious-risks/
    Apple: Building a Trusted Ecosystem for Millions of Apps - The important role of App Store protections
    (PDF): https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/Building_a_Trusted_Ecosystem_for_Millions_of_Apps.pdf

2. guest

guest Guest

Apple Points to Android Malware Infections in Argument Against Sideloading on iOS
    October 13, 2021
    https://www.securityweek.com/apple-...e-infections-argument-against-sideloading-ios
    Apple: Building a Trusted Ecosystem for Millions of Apps - A threat analysis of sideloading
    (PDF): https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/Building_a_Trusted_Ecosystem_for_Millions_of_Apps_A_Threat_Analysis_of_Sideloading.pdf

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Deplorable of apple. Nothing new.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

In this rare instance I am going to agree with Apple. They're not wrong but they're also not the only option if you don't like it.

5. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Well I don't own an iPhone and will not buy one. (Has nothing to do with their stance that is the subject of this thread). That said, I am ambivalent. On the one hand, I am acutely security/privacy conscious, so can relate to Apple's concern. On the other hand, I like having freedom of choice to make my own decision(s) after weighing the risk(s) and taking informed mitigating steps.

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Developers have to get apps approved by Apple before they're posted to the Apple Store.

Its a locked down eco system. If that's not for you, there's Windows and Linux.

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

indeed. and that's what makes ios much safer compared to android.

8. guest

guest Guest

‘Sideloading is a cyber criminal’s best friend,’ according to Apple’s software chief
    Craig Federighi says that “the floodgates are open for malware” if Apple allows sideloading on iOS
    November 3, 2021
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/3/...-2021-european-commission-digital-markets-act

9. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

I don’t understand why that article is making it sound like Apple is making things up

10. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

For my wife, I always buy iphones.
    Iphones are much more secure than Android-based ones.
    And, yes, it's annoying that iphones don't allow me to mess with its system, but...
    So far, only Iphones for my wife.

11. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

Only one store = more profit from appsales. So the security part is not entirely altruistic :D

12. Melionix

Melionix Registered Member

Hopefully we will see GrapheneOS phones in physical stores. One day.

13. zmechys

Very interesting.
    Thank you.

14. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

If someone plans to instal software brainlessly then it is indeed better to use Apple products.That is why kids like iPhones so much.
    Generally people who are willing to use little known organ found between ears while installing apps tend to not need closed ecosystems to be secure.

15. imdb

imdb Registered Member

oh, come on now. play store is infested with malicious/fake/compromised/backdoored/trojan embedded apps. an average user can easily fall for them. and they don't have to be a pudding head for that. apple has very strict regulations for app store. it's way safer than play store.

16. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

Apple says, Simon says, I say:
    Apple wants our best, our money.

As a tech savy, I'm on Android, of course.

17. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That is problematic!

18. zmechys

My wife is always trying some new games; therefore, only Apple Store helps to protect her iphone.

19. imdb

imdb Registered Member

as a "tech savvy". that is the point. now if you were a noob, things would've been different. apple ecosystem is way better and safer for the average users, which is roughly the 95% of computer & smart phone users.​

20. imdb

imdb Registered Member

why is that?

21. xxJackxx

I'd rather be "tech savvy" on Android than a noob on iOS. You can get in trouble on either one. I say if you're going to use something learn how. I get tired of hearing "I'm computer illiterate" from people that spend their day using one. No excuses for them.

Also I have to disagree with your "95% of computer and smart phone users" when 65 % of people are above average in intelligence. :argh:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6029792/

22. imdb

imdb Registered Member

couldn't agree more. but tech savvy poeple are a small minority. and the overwhelming majority of people are click happy, they don't want to learn how to safeguard themselves in the cyberspace because they see it as a time waster. when they need a new app or sw they just google it and click the first result, which is either a google snippet or an ad link.

:D thanks for the link. i read the article, it's a very good read. here's an excerpt from the final discussion of the article:

:D

23. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

This thread isn't about Play Store vs Apple Store. It is about side-loading.

So you are saying they don't care about being hacked. Seems like Apple argument about security wouldn't make sense for them either....

If side-loading would be non-default, but possible on Apple devices these people would have to:
    1. Know about app outside Apple Store they want to install.
    2. Enable side-loading in settings after confirming they understand it is security risk.
    3. Install malicious app.
    4. Probably enable additional permissions for that app to do harm.

Generally it would require to go the extra mile to get hacked that way.

24. xxJackxx

It was inevitable that it would go there. It is a valid reason some won't go Android.

25. imdb

imdb Registered Member

no, i'm not. app store is a safe haven for the average users. they know they can rest assured that apple's doing its best to keep its users safe from malicious apps with very strict regulations for apps and for its app store. they know that chances are very low for a malicious app to make it to the app store.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.