Apple just open sourced every iOS and macOS kernel to date.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Sep 30, 2017.

1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don't get it, what does this mean? I thought Apple always wanted to limit the MacOS to Apple devices?

3. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Maybe they think the world will go open source in response to mistrust in closed source and they want to remain a part of it?
    Whatever the reason it is good for Apple and the consumer, open sourcing their entire inventory to date is like saying see, we told you, no backdoors.
    My favorite computer to date was an Apple I owned years ago. It had a very personal feel to it, I never got that same feeling from using a Windows or Linux machine.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  4. Rasheed187

Who knows. But I personally hate Macs, after 20 years of Windows, I can not get used to it.

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Hardware - they make a pretty good margin on this stuff. OEMs stampeding toward Cupertino?

6. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

After all my life using Windows I bought my first Mac last year and I'm 67. The first few months I had to get use to it but after the learning curve of using a Mac it's hard for me to use Windows now.

7. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Anyone remember that airplane game that used to be on the Mac 20 years ago? I was badass at that. One day I was playing it at work, one of the photographers, I won't mention his name, well known in fleet street was watching me over my shoulder, I showed him the controls and let him try, he said this is very realistic, if you can fly this you could fly my plane.
    I said watch this, I took over, bombed and strafed the hell out of the enemy base, shot down a couple of their planes flew back to the home base and executed a perfect landing on the runway. I looked at him said, OK where's your plane at. He laughed but kept his word, two weeks later he took me up in his sesna and let me fly :)

8. Rasheed187

My aunt has recently bought an Apple, I will play a bit with it. I noticed that a lot of popular apps are also available for the Mac, didn't know about that. But I guess I don't like change, I'm too used to stuff like the Task Bar, Quick Launch and the tray icons. Not to forget about my security tools, and even on a Mac I wouldn't feel save without them.

9. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

1. It is not the first time when Apple is showing some source code of its OS.
    2. Apple's kernels are based on open-source FreeBSD kernel (with some other code from OpenBSD such as packet filter (PF)). They not written it from scratch. Some user space components are derived from open-source components as well such as OpenSSL.
    3. Most of OS is still closed source.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.