Apple Is Ready to Ditch the Mac

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

They may cut the production down on making the Mac, but to do away with it, I can't see it in the near future. Mac's aren't cheap to buy and Apple would lose $$$ and customers if they did away with it. Just my thoughts. ;)

3. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

It makes total sense to me. I have always seen Apple and especially the Mac as Steve Jobs baby. Hence the relatively unusual business model, high quality expensive products in a world where the biggest profits are in cheaply made crap merchandise.
    Without Steve Jobs I would expect to see Apple become just another one of those brand names that were once associated with high quality products get used and abused for every last dollar by Wall Street to maximise profits which usually means cutting product lines that are not particularly profitable, using cheaper materials and build quality on those that are while increasing the price, shedding employees to cut payroll etc. Then when they got every last dollar out of it and the company is no longer worth a damn, they'll dump that stock and move on to something else.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

While it doesn't affect me, as I would never own a Mac, I'm sure it won't happen.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

They'll just cut production by 80% & charge 4-5x more for the privilege, prestige, exclusivity & honor of owning a mac.

6. XIII

XIII Registered Member

It’s still a rather healthy business, if you look at the 2017 Q4 financial numbers:

It made revenue of $7.170bn from this, compared to $5.592bn in in Q3 and $5.739 in the same quarter of 2016. That’s up 28% quarter-on-quarter, and up 25% year-on-year.

Source: Macworld

And currently Xcode (the IDE to create iOS Apps) runs exclusively on Mac, so there is a market. In fact, even a lot of Android and web developers that I know use/prefer a Mac.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Guys, it seems like I misunderstood the article. I thought it was not about ditching the desktop/laptop hardware business, but about ditching the MacOS for a new iOS system, simlar to the ChromeOS. I also don't see why they would throw away 7 billion dollars.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I could easily see them ditching the Mac Pro for the new iMac Pro. They're a good fit for someone that would buy a Mac (not me) and you are guaranteed to sell the included monitor as part of the deal. It is a nice screen. I just don't care for the rest of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.