Apple iMac 2021 with M1 chip

Discussion in 'all things Mac' started by Rasheed187, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

So what do you guys think, is it worth the money? I must say it does look cool, but of course it's still way too expensive when compared to Win 10 PC's.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/imac/

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think I'll wait a bit before I buy a new iMac. The one I've got is fine.

3. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Max 16 GB RAM, but my MacBook Pro (with 32 GB) uses at least 20 GB on an average day...

I’m waiting for the bigger iMac (Pro?). Maybe at WWDC21?

4. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Yeah, same here. :thumb:

5. ProTruckDriver

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

:thumb:

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's much better (and cheaper) to stick with Windows in my opinion.

8. Rasheed187

For now I think the same, but I have to admit it, the new iMac looks pretty cool, it has a great design. Perhaps in the future if Apple lower prices I will buy a Mac. And lately I'm having weird problems with Win 10, so let's hope M$ will fix it.

9. Alec

Alec Registered Member

First, the official link for 2021 iMac 24 (rather than the MacRumors mishmash roundup page)... https://www.apple.com/imac-24/

Second, I have an iMac 27" and have never had an issue with dust under the screen. Yeah, on top of it sure, but that's expected of any monitor.

Lastly, I'm curious to see what Apple does for iMac 27". I bet they are waiting on an M2 or something before they re-vamp the 27" iMac. My current iMac will likely last me for 3-4 more years, so I'm in no hurry though.

10. Rasheed187

To clarify, I think Apple should hire new web developers, I really don't like those huge websites.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Lower prices ! I don't think those words are in their vocabulary.

12. ProTruckDriver

No, Lower Prices is definitely not in their vocabulary. Even the refurbished Mac's are expensive.

13. XIII

XIII Registered Member

You never know; I did not expect “replaceable battery” (AirTag) to be in that vocabulary either... ;)

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. Rasheed187

And that's why I have never bought a Mac, with Win 10 PC's you get more powerful hardware for less money. At the moment I'm not willing to pay a premium price just for M1 CPU. However, Win 10 is giving me annoying problems, so macOS is looking more attractive by the day.

16. Rasheed187

Well, I have just read reviews for both the new iMac and MacBook Air and they were very impressed with it. According to the reviewers, M1 really is way better than Intel Core CPU's and even better than the Intel Iris XE integrated GPU. And I didn't even know that MacBook Air laptops are fanless! My Lenovo IdeaPad 3 is constantly spinning in the background.

I really hope that when Apple comes with the new MacBook 14 inch laptops they will try to keep prices a bit acceptable. For 1000 euro I want to get the M1 with at least 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM, but I'm also willing to settle for 8GB RAM. Hopefully, when the M2 chip is coming, Apple is willing to drop prices for the M1 machines.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/apple-imac-24-inch-m1-review/
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/apple-macbook-air-m1-review/
    https://www.tomsguide.com/news/another-macbook-pro-leak-says-enhanced-apple-silicon-is-incoming

17. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Apple and dropping prices? :argh:

(not starting a flame war; I am probably actually a fanboi ;))

18. ProTruckDriver

I see Apples prices going one way with all the upgrades and that is ridiculously up year after year.

19. Rasheed187

Well, we can always dream. :p

But seriously, I do think Apple products are way overpriced, why is it if you want to have a 512GB SSD instead of a 256GB SSD you will have to pay 200 euro's more, is the SSD made of gold or what? I don't like this kind of arrogance, they know people are willing to pay so they simply don't care.

I was at the electronic store a few days ago and the Apple MacBooks looked really good, but I'm not sure if I could make the switch from Windows to macOS. It's the little things that annoy me but I did see you can add the taskbar via uBar, looks way better than the stupid Dock.

Also, I think the 24 inch monitor of the Apple iMac looked way too big, which idiot decided that screens should become bigger and bigger? Same goes for Windows based "all in one" PC's of course, I believe they are very unhandy for regular use. Seems like HP and Lenovo don't offer them any smaller than 21,5 inch anymore.

https://brawersoftware.com/products/ubar

20. ProTruckDriver

Hey enough of that. Us older people need a bigger screen so we can see it. :argh: :argh:
    Have a nice weekend. :)

21. Rasheed187

I just don't like it, computer screens shouldn't be almost as big as TV screens. I guess it depends on how much space you need, it's of course handy if you need to run multiple apps side by side. If I had to choose, I'd actually prefer the 13 inch screen from the MacBook Air. And BTW, to answer my own question, none of the components in Apple computers are made from gold! It's the same stuff found in other machines, see links. So yeah, Apple should really lower prices.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac M1 24-Inch Teardown/142850
    https://www.ifixit.com/News/46884/m1-macbook-teardowns-something-old-something-new

22. Alec

Alec Registered Member

My primary use home PC is a 27-inch iMac and I love it. I wouldn't want to use anything less. It's just a matter of what you're used to, I suppose. But I run multiple applications side-by-side a lot. I also often run Parallels a lot too, and can just swipe back and forth between macOS and Windows 10 with a two-finger swipe on the magic mouse. I've always found that super cool... but then with an M1 mac, you would have to run the Windows 10 ARM version which has a few gotchas.

Anyway, apparently, Apple is making things bigger rather than smaller since prior to this year the "small" iMac was 21.5-inch and the "big" iMac was 27-inch. Now they've upped it 24-inch for the new "small" M1 iMac, and the rumor is the big brother iMac will be 30 or 31 inches.

As for pricing, I'm not sure why all the hullabaloo... Apple's 13" Macbook Air with M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD is $999 while Dell's 13" XPS with Intel's Core i5, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD is $1049 in the US. I know which I would rather have. I think what you are really trying to compare is individual component pricing on the commodity marketplace versus what you pay for a packaged cohesive product from a major manufacturer. That's not fair to either Apple or Dell. It's sort of Apple vs Oranges. If you want a full commodity PC, then ya... by all means... build yours from scrounged products Amazon and NewEgg, but that's a separate beast from a purpose-built laptop or all-in-one desktop with everything integrated thermally, sound-wise, and form-factor wise.

23. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Hoping that Apple will announce a 30/31” iMac/monitor tonight!

And indeed; Apple is not about components/specs, it’s about integration/experience.

(which makes my wish a bit weird;))

24. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Desktop computer screen, be it ATX-based with separate computer tower or all-in-ones, was always bigger than typical laptop screen. Back in the day when I have seen desktops more often typical laptop screen was 15,6 inches or even 17 inches large while desktop screen was at least 19'' but usually 21''. I do understand why laptops are getting smaller, but as far as desktop computers are concerned there is no reason why desktop screens should be smaller.

25. Rasheed187

I think it's because I like to use most of my apps fully maximized and this will look weird on such a big screen. Even a screen of 21.5 inch is already to be big for me, so that's why I don't think I will be buying an "all in one" desktop anytime soon.

Yes correct, it's not just Apple that's expensive, I also wouldn't pay 1000 euro for the Dell XPS 13. But of course it depends on what you need it for, the MacBook Air and Pro might outperform other laptops when it comes to photo/video editing and when you are on the road a lot, battery life is of course also important. But for 1000 to 1200 euro I would like to get at least a 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM. With both Touch ID and Face ID. I do think it's cool that the MacBook Air is fanless.

A 30/31 inch screen would be crazy, my flatscreen TV is 32 inch! Why would you need this in a computer. I actually hope someone will come up with a 17 to 19 inch all in one desktop. Perhaps Apple can call it the iMac Mini.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.