Apple has a plan to make online ads more private

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, May 22, 2019.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Zack Whittaker@zackwhittaker 22 May 2019

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Good idea, but I hope they will also realize that it's not only the tracking that bothers people. It's those annoying animated ads and stupid pop-ups that started it all. It seems like companies like Google and Mozilla still don't get this. Because they still allow these kind of ads, they even call them "acceptable ads". I wonder, just how dumb can you be?

3. Reality

Reality Registered Member

@Rasheed187, I absolutely can't stand ads so I couldn't agree more about said annoyances and "acceptable ads". The only conclusion I can come to is you just can't fix this level of stupid.

4. Rasheed187

I haven't got any problem with static ads, I mean do people ever complain about ads in newspapers and magazines? No they don't, because they are not annoying and don't track you. I can't believe that the advertising industry keeps believing that animated ads are a must. For example, look at the ads on this page (small square banners), it doesn't bother me at all:

https://officesnapshots.com

5. Reality

Not true. They are annoying to some people. Whether you mean online or offline or both, doesn't matter. I've heard complaints and for different reasons. Anyway, you pay money to buy the newspaper/magazine then they almost always load the things up with stupid crappy shiny ads. The only ads acceptable to me are ones that I thought would mean something to me and that means I thought of it first. For example, I'm not against ads in magazines that are especially relevant to the type of magazine Ive decided buy and then look at. I'm not against flyers I've decided I want in my mailbox because they are going to be useful to me. If people want to be susceptible to being sold an idea then that's on them. It's not for me.

6. Rasheed187

I was talking about offline magazines and newspapers. But you're right, it seems like this stupidity can't be fixed. I even mailed a certain site to complain about distracting animated ads, but they said they aren't willing to stop displaying these kind of ads. Apparently they forgot that I had to enable my ad-blocker again. Same with The Verge, I was willing to white-list them, at first everything seemed cool, but then they started to showing me annoying animated ads.

7. Reality

That's just it. Give them an inch they take a mile. Is it any wonder people get so hosed off with ads, not to mention the scummy excess baggage security risks they carry as well? I agree animated ads are the flippin pits, and by orders of magnitude way worse than static ads.

8. Rasheed187

BTW, I decided to white-list androidcentral.com as a test, and so far they haven't served me animated ads. But the problem is, look at how many trackers are being loaded. That is what should be fixed.

9. Reality

@Rasheed187 Tracking is downright creepy. People ignoring tracking just shows how far down the slippery slope we are. It should be seen as stalking, and thus should be treated as a criminal activity. It's as simple as that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.