Apple Expected to Switch to All-OLED iPhone Line-up by 2020

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Jan 22, 2019.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Makes sense to me - and not because OLED offers superior performance. It just costs more for any company to support, logistically, two technologies that do the same thing.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What I don't understand is why nobody is making smaller sized OLED TV's?

4. Bill_Bright

OLED is still very expensive. Plus, pretty sure LG still holds some of the more important patents so licensing fees may be a problem.

Note one of the main reasons OLED is so expensive (compared to other technologies) is the manufacturing process involves a higher defect rate during production. Just throwing out arbitrary numbers here for illustration only - with traditional LCD displays, they may have 1 out of every 100 display panels fail quality control testing. But with OLED, it may be 7 or 8 fail. A higher defect rate means the price per unit is higher.

This matters with TVs in particular because the cost of small screen TVs is almost free! I mean a 32" LED LCD TV for under $90! That's almost a disposable product price. And since much of the TV content we get does not come in 4K 1080p HD anyway, these budget TVs are fine for most users. If they want better resolutions, they typically also want bigger screens. So the concept of demand comes into play too. There is not (yet!) that big of a demand for small screen OLED TVs. When there is, prices will come down too.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

While that does make sense, what I really don't like about OLED dusplays is the potential for so-called screen burn in. While it doesn't happen to all users and there are steps you can take to help avoid it, it's clear that it happens to a lot of users.

6. Bill_Bright

I can see where burn in might be a problem with cell phones IF the same image is displayed for long periods of time. But that is a big "if". What I don't like and totally disagree with is that argument used as a criticism for OLED TVs - at least those used for home use. In commercial use where, for example the same news or sports channel (and channel logo up in the corner) is displayed 10 - 12 hours (or longer) per day, that might be a problem. Or for PoS systems (cash register or ATM machines, as examples), OLED may not be the best choice.

That said, I believe even with cell phones, it is not the issue some reports want us to believe. I just looked at my cell and EVERY app I called up, totally changed the display. That is, not one pixel remained the same when I called up my phone app, text messaging app, settings, browser, camera, you name it - the entire screen changed. Even just rotating between portrait and landscape mode changes everything. This includes the navigation buttons. They either change color or move about. Not to mention, the screen goes blank after a couple minutes of inactivity.

If you leave the exact same image on your display, day in and day out for hours on end, then burn-in might be a problem. Otherwise, using burn-in as a reason to avoid buying OLED is robbing yourself of the best image quality out there!

I bought my 55" OLED LG TV 2 years ago with no regrets. I chose it over Samsung's excellent QLED for 1 reason. OLED simply, and "clearly" looked better.

https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know/

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Bill_Bright If you Google screen burn it, you will see that it is a common problem. But it certainly does not affect all phones with OLED displays. A friend of mine had got a 6 year old Galaxy Note 2, which no screen burn in and I recently purchased a Note 3 from eBay, which also has none. One of the causes of burn in is having the screen at full brightness for extended periods of time. Personally, I've always used auto brightness on ny phones.

I came across this test of burn in on OLED TVs yeaterday.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcLasaRCzY

8. Bill_Bright

You seem to be changing your stance. :) Yes, I did Google it. That's how I found that CNET article and many other articles supporting exactly what I said, and what you are now saying. And that is, yes, burn-in can happen. But NOT for normal users and normal usage - that is, people who do not display the exact same image for hours and hours per day, day in and day out, will NOT have problems with burn in. That includes, BTW, even with full brightness - though I don't know why anyone would run at "full brightness" all the time.

If you watch that YouTube video, note what the presenter said starting at just a mere 15 seconds in. He said, "For most people, the results so far are good news as we don't expect people who watch varied content to have any issues with burn-in."

My Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact has ABC (auto-brightness control) but for me, I did not like it. I didn't like it on my previous Samsung either - so maybe it is an Android issue (for me, anyway). So I disable it on my phones but I don't manually set the brightness to maximum either. I do have it enabled on my LG TV however, and it works great as the morning sun comes in the front window, adjusting as necessary through the night when darkness falls.

So my bottom line is this, if OLED is in your budget (for phones or TVs), by all means don't let the very remote possibility of burn in dissuade your decision.

9. Rasheed187

OK thanks, I guess this makes sense. I'm not into big screen TV's, 32 and 43 inch is enough for bedroom and living room. But you're saying that quality doesn't matter that much for smaller screens. Why I asked is because I believe years ago, I read that it's more difficult to produce smaller sized OLED screens, but apparently that's not the case.

10. Bill_Bright

Well, I personally would not consider 43 or even 32 "small". Yeah, compared to 65", 72" and larger, they may be small, but it all becomes relative and dependent on how close you sit to the screen.

I mean even the largest cell phones have screens less than 7". How close must it be to your nose before you get the "big screen" movie theater experience with it?

11. Rasheed187

In general I'm not into big screens at all, I think they are pretty ugly and clunky. I have this with TV's, laptop and desktop monitors and also with smartphones. I believe 43 inch is big enough for TV's, especially if you sit about 4 meters from the screen.

12. Bill_Bright

Not sure what you mean by either ugly of clunky. On the better models, the image quality is top notch, definitely not ugly. And clunky? Nah!

But regardless, if the program you are watching is well written and directed, the screen size does not matter. It can easily be just as entertaining.

As for computer monitors, I sit arm's link from my monitors. I don't want bigger than my two 24" monitors.

With smartphones, I hate big ones. If I wanted a tablet, I would buy a tablet. So I look for compact smartphones when shopping.

13. Rasheed187

I think a big TV (bigger than 43 inch) in the living room looks ugly. And I also hate big smartphones, 5 inch is my limit. With computer monitors I prefer 21 inch. BTW, I just realized that my Sony PSP Vita also has an OLED screen. It's really sad they stopped producing this amazing device.

14. guest

guest Guest

2020 iPhones will have Chinese-made OLED screens for first time, says report
    December 30, 2019
    https://9to5mac.com/2019/12/30/chinese-made-oled-screens/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.