Apple closes more than 160 security holes in iTunes

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.h-online.com/security/ne...han-160-security-holes-in-iTunes-1706849.html

2. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

perhaps I finally found a reason to upgrade to the next version after 3 years :D

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Garbage on the outside (UI) and garbage on the inside (code). I remember the first time I installed iTunes like 4/5 years ago with my new iPod, hated it, and it came with a bunch of other bloatware like QuickTime, Bonjour?, MobileMe, etc without my approval. Haven't used it since I stopped using my iPod and started using phones a few years back.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Just installed it. Thanks for the heads up.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Thats a lot of fixin. I have always put itunes in the same category as old norton av versions - malware that installs too much, bogs the system and won't uninstall. At least I hear newer norton is better behaved.

Niether will ever touch my system. Sounds like a lot of people could benefit from the update though, as popular as it is.

Sul.

7. siljaline

The iTunes installer fully removes the previous version, for those that have not updated yet, should ensure you have a backup of the prior installer. Yes iTunes is boatware.

8. siljaline

9. 160 jeez that's pretty bad, you have to wonder what other exploits are hiding in the code.

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Well I just got ITunes updates tonight on my mac but not sure what they where.I dont have or want iTunes on windows so nothing to worry about.

11. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Is WinAmp Lite a good alternative to iTunes? Can I use it to sync my iPod Touch?

12. siljaline

Apple iTunes is proprietary to Apple. As far as I know, you cannot substitute any other software to interface with your Apple devices.

13. Dark Shadow

Apple been getting its share lately with security wholes,Thats good to keeping them from falling a sleep or thinking there immune to exploits.

14. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

Itunes has had a horrible reputation for security holes for at least 8 years, this is from my own memory it may be longer.

I was given an ipod for xmas and use copytransmanager to load music. No need for a resource hogging and buggy security vulnerability like Itunes on my system.

15. Dark Shadow

I dont like it my self,I would love to nuke it from my Macbook.

16. What FUD. You can use any number of software to upload music to your IPOD. Winamp being one of them and there are others just google it!

17. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Firstly relax, secondly learn what FUD stands for. Now, take special note of the part that says "as far as I know".

18. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

I've used Banshee in Linux and it syncs well with my ipod.

19. siljaline

I guess I stand corrected as I was not aware other software could be used as a substitute for Apple iTunes

20. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Banshee and other linux alternatives have pitfalls, and they're not perfect substitutes for sure. I believe that it won't sync with newer ipods. And if you update your ipod then it could potentially break the linux sync capability. Basically you have to be willing to do some geek hacking if you don't use itunes.

21. siljaline

So it's probably best staying with iTunes in lieu of dubious third-party software :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.