AppGuard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Infected, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Hello,

Right now I'm using AppGuard v5.2.9.1. Is this version still good? Would Solo add much if any more protection?

2. guest

guest Guest

if my memory is good, v5 was just v4 with a new license system and bug fixes, i won't recommend it.
    Solo offers better protection and is up-to-date.

3. Infected

OK thanks, I emailed Blueridge also to find out.

4. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

AOL offers a rebranding of Appguard, called Tech Fortress.
    You can pay by month, and even get a free first month trial (you need to give your credit card, and cancel before the month is up). The price is much cheaper than buying from BlueRidge.
    Question: is there a way to get this deal without a US credit card? Or is it only for US customers? It seems to need a US address on the checkout page.

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Appears unless you live in the U.K., you're SOL. Requires a U.S. billing address:
    https://help.aol.com/articles/aol-premium-subscription-products-faqs

6. itman

itman Registered Member

Also looking at the screen shots, etc., this looks like a "rebag" of the old AppGuard personnel 4.x version. So the question is if it really reflects 5.x enhancements?

7. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

I heard from our old friend Lockdown, a while back, that it's the same as the current AppGuard solo.

8. guest

guest Guest

From what I know, both products are developed at same time.
    Just the cosmetic may vary.

9. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

If this is for a personal, home computer, I think you should ask yourself if it will make you safer. Adding a third dead-bolt to your front door will, technically, add more "protection". But will it keep you "safer" from a "determined" bad guy targeting you? Not really.

Bad guys typically are lazy opportunists. They go for the easy pickings. If not easy to break in, they move on to easier pickings. If you are specifically being targeted by a determined bad guy, then you really have bigger problems - as in your physical security to deal with.

It also seems clear both AppGuard and Solo are geared toward business users. I note the new AppGuard Personal is a pricey $60 per year (it used to be $30) and AppGuard Solo is a whopping $90 per year!

In fact, if you look here and scroll down to where it says "Line-Up", under Solo it says (my bold underline added),
    This could be good a asset for businesses since many bad guys concentrate their efforts on the business networks these days. This may be especially good for business networks that store clients' personal information.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

Reviewing the recent discussions on machine learning, it appears there is a basic misunderstanding on how AV's apply it versus AppGuard.

AppGuard appears to me to be what can be best described as a behavioral sandbox. And it is fairly unique in that regard. AG's primary purpose is to prevent malware from modifying system areas and other processes using its machine learned rules. Hence the reason it needs to be disabled when performing software installations which by definition perform such modification activities.

11. Infected

@guest . Being that i'm still on W7, would I still benefit switching to v6 solo?

12. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Where did you see machine learned rules in Appguard?

13. itman

itman Registered Member

You don't. They are built into the product.

14. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Where are they built in? Appguard has:
    1 Software restriction policy (based on user-defined rules)
    2 guarded apps
    3 lsass protection

There is no machine learning here AFAIK.

15. itman

itman Registered Member

Obviously something has to configure all that in "install and forget" configurations like that offered by AOL. But generally speaking:
    https://www.blueplanet-works.com/en/solution/appguard.html

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  16. itman

itman Registered Member

For reference, Microsoft stated in Win 10 1803 or 1809 release, can't remember which one, that SRP is deprecated technology. That means they will no longer be enhancing the feature and in subsequent Win 10 releases, can eliminate it altogether. So any security software dependent upon SRP will have to looking for alternative methods.

Also as far as machine learning, A.I., etc., etc., goes, machine learning simply means using automated methods to observe computer processing behavior. Those are usually recorded as some type of rules for future evaluation criteria. Machine learning has been in existence for years. The A.I. baloney is just the "latest and purported greatest" method of deploying those M/L rules to detect malware behavior.

17. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

In other words, "marketing hype"! :(

18. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Guys, make sure your assumptions are not based on misinformation or misunderstanding the information given of the product.

19. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I never knew AppGuard used any form of Ai\ML.

The AppGuard establishment is pretty firmly anti-Ai\ML, believing that manual analysis is the only proper and effective way to handle security.

It is a mystery as to who informed that AppGuard uses Machine Learning; it doesn't, period.

SRP is not deprecated either. SRP is still firmly available to those who want the full-Microsoft Monty. They just have to pay for it. Microsoft removed SRP from Home and Pro, because 1) home users cannot handle it and 2) most important - they want you to buy it and pay their high price for it.

$90 for SOLO is a fantastic bargain compared to what is required to use fully capable AppLocker.

AppGuard isn't dependent on Microsoft's work with SRP anyway. So what if Microsoft removes SRP from Windows completely?
    The APIS and all other functionality are a part of Windows. So anyone can continue to produce and support SRP.

What? MS is gonna ban SRP on Windows from all parties?

So what!

AppGuard's technology is not dependent on Microsoft's work with SRP - they are not the same thing. Microsoft's SRP technology may be deprecated, but this has absolutely no effect on AppGuard, even if some do not agree.

Just more pidgeon infos.

20. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

You wouldn't get real benefit at all. W7 has no substantial changes to its apis or other internal mechanisms so far.

Edit: I forgot this, M$ said they are upgrading Windows Defender on 7. If they do that, then you'll need to upgrade to version 6. Okay maybe you will need to, maybe not. We'll see.

Then AppGuard does not sell the Personal version any longer. So you would have to buy the $90 SOLO version.

21. Infected

They let me buy the sub for v5.2.9. This was just a month ago.

22. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Aloud?
    Sorry English is not my native lang.

23. itman

itman Registered Member

I agree with you and assumed as much. Best to state that AppGuard is based on technology similar to that used in SRP.

24. Infected

They let me purchase a year sub for my v5.2

25. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Use it with joy and hope M$ don't break anything if they upgrade WD W10 style. Remember, don't blame AppGuard but M$.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.