AppGuard solo on old laptop

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jo3blac1, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Okay so Im preparing my old Pentium III, 256 RAM laptop for my girlfriend. Basically short story is that she loves to download malware, spyware, viruses and everything that's out there on the internet. Her current laptop is currently unbootable :)
    What do you guys think of this set up:
    - AppGuard on lockdown :)
    - Emet 2.1
    - Chrome (naked without extensions due to little memory)

Also will AppGuard interfere with Automatic windows updates?

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

MBAM + HitmanPro to check downloads.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Plus sandboxie will do.:thumb:

4. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

I guess she will be just using your laptop for browsing the web? If that's the case you might want to check out chrome os or if she would like to do some word processing, graphics editing,etc., check out older(well, not no old) versions of ubuntu such as 8.04

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  5. jo3blac1

can't install more than one application because with 256mb of RAM things will go really slow really fast. so either I go Appguard solo, MBAM solo or Sandboxie solo.

6. jo3blac1

Does chrome OS support skype? Because she is in a different state and we have to video chat a lot. Also will chrome OS handle 256mb of RAM? My current windows XP custom services eats only 160mb.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

MBAM and HitmanPro on demand uses no ram. Only when scanning. Sbie uses only about 2mb when being used. I recommend using the three along with AG.;)

8. jo3blac1

Alright I will try sandboxie. I won't even bother installing HMP or alike, she will never use them!!!

9. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

Chrome OS min. memory requirement is 256mb but skype is not yet available on chrome web store. You might want to check google talk though.

Ubuntu 8.04 can run in your old laptop but it would be quite slow that you might have to disable gnome. I believe that option is out of the window:D

If your girlfriend is not into downloading files intentionally, i think sandboxie with settings suitable for her computing and browsing habits(like auto-delete sandbox after closing, drop my rights, prevent direct disk access, etc.) will suffice.

Also, give your significant other a non-admin account assuming you have Win XP HOME installed.

Lastly, consult luciddream about what windows services to disable. His minimalist setup is hardcore.

________
    P.S. Appguard's min. memory requirement is 1GB so it might cause some problems.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hmm....that's a problem. She won't use on-demand scanners. And she download lots of stuffs. I think AG + Sbie both tightened up would be just fine.

11. ichito

ichito Registered Member

This combo could be...I think...some good solution. In real-time only firewall - Kerio.2.15 and Tiny Watcher, additional DropMyRights for some apps. On demand MBAM and EEK.

12. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Yes, AppGuard and Sanboxie is great combo :thumb:

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I agree with previous posters that AppGuard and Sandboxie together would make a solid combination. On my Windows XP system, memory usage is only 3.5 MB for AppGuard and 2.5 MB for Sandoxie so both of these should be okay on a system with limited memory.

For maximum compatibility, consider running AppGuard at the default High protection level, not Locked Down. The practical difference between running at High instead of Locked Down is negligble; and the High protection level is more flexible and less likely to cause trouble with automatic Windows updates.

14. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

appguard and sandboxie is an excellent combo ! set it up once and forget its even running.

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Appguard will do fine (and is very light)

16. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

And what about firewall? Can you be safe in the Internet without it?

17. pablozi

pablozi Registered Member

I would say AppGuard. It is extremely light and almost set-and-forget solution.
    Plus it is really top notch secure - you can just look for some test on YT - till now nothig can bypass AG (as far as I remember) ;)

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Have a look at libuntu. I once set that up for a relative on a old laptop. It had a mobile single core 600 mhz chip with 1 gig. I did not install skype just browser, mail, mediaplayer open office. The latter was barely used, but performance was ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.