appguard or exe radar pro ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by garry35, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

2. newbino

newbino Registered Member

This is the AppGuard thread, alive and kicking as the program is. You'll get a lot of info by reading through it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AppGuard is 64-bit compatible and is being actively developed by the vendor, Blue Ridge Networks.

http://www.blueridge.com/index.php/products/appguard/consumer

4. garry35

thanks for your reply but after checking the thread you linked to it was 60+ pages and doesnt really give a comparison

5. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Correct. But it does give you the answers you were seeking, namely:
    • 64-bit compatible
    • actively developed (both of which pegr also specifically addressed in his reply)
    • BOTH good and bad experiences
    As to the overall question, which is better for security and compatibility, it always depends on each user pc setup and personal criteria of what is "better".

Personally, I have never tried EXE Radar Pro, have been using AppGuard in combination with Sandboxie and am very satisfied.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I have been using AppGuard for almost 3 years and have found it effective and easy to use. I don't do testing against malware myself but other people who do have attested to AppGuard's effectiveness. I have never tried EXE Radar Pro but from what I have read, it too should provide excellent protection.

Something to consider which may help in coming to a decision is that they are different types of application. EXE Radar Pro is an anti-executable/HIPS program. This type of program tends to be highly interactive, prompting the user for decisions. AppGuard on the other hand is based on the concept of a trusted enclave. AppGuard applies policy restriction to untrusted processes, silently blocking any behaviour that contravenes the policy without prompting the user for a decision.

The choice between them is largely a matter of personal preference, depending on how interactive you want the program to be. If you like to be in control of the decision making, and don't mind responding to security alerts, EXE Radar Pro will probably suit you better. On the other hand, if you prefer strong silent security that goes about its business quietly in the background then you may prefer AppGuard.

Whichever you choose, either of these programs should provide excellent protection. One other point to consider is that AppGuard has MBR protection, if that matters to you. I don't know whether EXE Radar Pro protects the MBR or not.

7. I'd use APPGUARD. It's being actively developed & has a good user base for discussing issues on this forum. Basically you get a lifetime license for $20 which is great value.

In locked down mode not much can get past it, it's not perfect but it does help in stopping most drive by downloads. But it does have a learning curve and you do need to use the settings. It is not plug n play type material. You do need intermediate skills to use it.

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Just to clarify this, here is the most recent statement by Barbara Cline regarding licensing: -

"We are very appreciative of all of our current AppGuard users and don’t plan to do anything to the product or the license that would result in unhappy users. That said, as we are still working to recoup some of the development costs – one idea floating around has been to charge a nominal fee for future X.0 versions of AppGuard to existing users. The nominal fee is just one of many ideas. Another is to offer a friends and family discount to current users to pass on when future X.0 versions are released. When a decision has been made, Wilders will be one of the first forums we post an announcement. Regardless, you will be able to use your 3.X version in perpetuity, which offers robust protection and works with Windows 8. We would be happy to consider additional suggestions from you at appguard@blueridgenetworks.com. Thank you for understanding.

BTW, the current pricing model is $20 for 3 perpetual user licenses. No upgrade fee for anything 3.x. There might be a nominal upgrade fee for version 4.0."

9. garry35

thanks again to everybody who replied. i have since bought appguard (the 3 pc license was a clincher for me ). with regards to exe radar pro would this work alongside a hips firewall or would there be conflicts and in effective have 2 programs doing the same job, making one redundant.

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If you have any problems setting up AppGuard, post your issue in the AppGuard thread that newbino referred to and you'll find no shortage of help available from Barb_C and other AppGuard users. :)

Kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.