AppGuard offers of assistance accepted

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AaLF, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I have just installed AppGuard to see how it feels & maybe qualify as a permanent member as it seems to have a bit of cult following.

Keep in mind my current existing setup:

Look n Stop FW
    SandBoxie
    AppGuard (trial)

Step one: internet access. What's the alternative to running Appguard in the 'OFF' position?

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AppGuard shouldn't interfere with your Internet connection, so you should be able to run it using any of its protection levels.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Agreed. The only reason I ever have of lowering Appguard protection is installations and upgrades.

Pete

4. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Thanks for replying. I'm in the middle of playing with another setup for now. I'll PM you guys with your permission for guidance when I get back to appguard if thats ok?

5. Peter2150

Yes, or ask here so all can benefit.

6. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Thanks for replying Pete. I've just installed Malware Defender to see what its about before I hget around to AppGuard. MD seems typically classical with its pop-ups for processes.

Are these two similar? For those who have experienced both, perhaps some comments?

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

There's a discussion about the similarities and differences between AppGuard and classical HIPS (using Comodo Defense+ as an example) in the following thread that may be of interest: Why not just AppGuard?

8. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

That darn Comodo coming into the picture again. Granted Comodo has some big pluses and plenty of 'runs on the board' but I find I have taken a disliking to the way they present their control console. I just dont get a warm fuzzy feeling from it.

Between MD & AG which one is a 'smoother operator' blending into the background and just going about doing its job quietly? (hope that's fair question)

I should also mention that my permanent members are SBiE & LnSFW & Spyshelter working on XP. I tried Defensewall but it seemed to simplistic and I felt my PC was lagging at times, slow to open etc with DW.

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The reason why Comodo Defense+ was used as an example to discuss the similarities and differencies between AppGuard and a classical HIPS was because the question as to why not just use Defense+ instead of AppGuard had been raised by a previous poster in the same thread. It wasn't a recommendation for Comodo as I made clear. The same considerations would apply to any classical HIPS, including MD, which is why I thought you might find it of interest; and it saved me from repeating myself here.

MD is a classical HIPS and AppGuard is designed to work quietly in the background, so the answer to the question in the way you've framed it has to be AppGuard.

10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I run both with zero problems. It works for me but I realize that everyone's setup is different and it may not work for them. MD is just a great app for determining what's going on in the system. Personally, I wouldn't have a second thought running AG only on any setup. I believe it's that good.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

exactly;)

12. Peter2150

I also would be very comfortable with Appguard, although I always run Sandboxie. However that said I do also run Online Armor. I've been with OA since either day 2 or day 3. It's kind of like that old slipper. :)

Pete

13. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Oh-oh. I had abandoned AppGuard as a unhappy experience. Pegr got me up and running with Sandboxie & Shadow Defender and I am very pleased with the setup. Even swore I'd give up my install software addiction now that I had a setup I was happy with.

Then 'Kid_Shamrock' had to post this........

14. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I'm very happy with Comodo firewall, sandboxie and appguard. I know that comodo has the D+ but I think that appguards policy restriction is a little stronger. I also like the MBR guard and USB protection. It makes a great combo. It also is AV free.

15. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

OK. The weekend is here. There's rain about outside. So I have loaded AppGuard. This time I have added the sandboxie rules so I am net accessible.

What am I doing with AppG. Add a program when it doesn't open? And settings. Set to High? Does AppG inhibit saving files or is as long as its on the white list it has freedom?

A few tips and suggestions? Which threads & webpages will benefit the novice?

Thanks,
    AaLF

*** If I close my sandboxed browser, when I try and open the browser again to return to the net, I'm told Firefox is already running to close it first (cannot find a running instance of it) or restart computer. I have to turn off APPG to use sandboxed firefox again.

*** How come when I push the lever up to high its slipped back to medium when next I open AG?

Attached Files:

• agb.png
      agb.png
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.