AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Don't know, but not sure I see any reason to bother.

I just got a recent version of CryptoLocker and am going to play later.

2. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Many thanks FleischmannTV, much appreciated

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Pete,

Private Folders works the way I've described it in post #142 above. Here's what the help file says about when access to Private Folders is blocked and when it is allowed (screenshots omitted for brevity):

Private Folders

Guarded Applications running in Privacy Mode are forbidden from accessing any files in Private Folders. These folders are still accessible by unguarded applications as well as by guarded applications that are not running in Privacy Mode.

To specify private folders select the Guarded Applications Tab from the Configuration Interface and click on the Folder Settings button:

The following dialog will be displayed from which you can add or remove Private Folders:

To designate a folder as a Private Folder, select "Deny Access" from the Type drop-down list.

See also:
    Configuration Interface | Guarded Applications Tab | Privacy Mode

Kind regards
    pegr

4. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

What do you guys mean here.....
    Should I be launching "downloaded stuff" from the 'desktop' because that's a 'guarded zone'? If "yes" can I nominate a designated folder instead?

- AaLF
    novice in training

5. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

By default c:\users\<user name> folder is added as user space(which will guard both desktop as well as downloads folder). You can add any folder as user space in the User Space tab and setting the option to Yes.

6. Peter2150

Hi Aalf

The desktop is designated user space and normally a new exe won't run there. I like to keep new exe's there until I determine what I am going to do with them, especially if I am not sure whether it's good or bad.

Normally you would have to lower protection to run them from the desktop, but instead I run them guarded. That way they will run from the desktop, and if they are a bad boy, the can't do any damage.

Pete

7. Peter2150

Hi Pegr

Thanks for the reminder. I wrote what I said in the context of dodgy programs I am playing with. So in that context I always run them guarded.

Pete

8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Can someone help please?
    I don't know how to handle this. AppGuard keeps reporting it blocks
    "esellerateengine.dll" from starting. What should I do now?
    Thanks

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Pete,

I realised that you understand how it works but from the way TomAZ posed his question, it appeared that he may be asking whether "deny access" prevents ALL access to a folder, so I thought it worth clarifying for Tom's benefit that it only applies to guarded applications running in Privacy Mode.

Kind regards
    pegr

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Registered Member

Please give us details of the blocked event (Activity Report.../Message Info...). Have you noticed any problems associated with this event?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  11. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

It will not work, but you should have received an email with the new key. Your new key will be good for 3 activations.

12. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

If you upgrade, the timeout value will be set to whatever you had in the previous version. If you do a clean install, the timeout value should be 20 minutes.

13. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

You may want to use the Ignore Message feature too to avoid these messages (especially if you don't see any operational issues).

14. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Actually, you can open the folder from Explorer and other applications (even Guarded). You cannot open the folder from a Guarded Application that is running in privacy mode. By default, AppGuard places all browser applications that are part of AppGuard's default Guard List in Privacy Mode. AppGuard's default policy also designates "My Documents\MyPrivateFolder" as a private folder.

Note, there is a minor anomaly when specifying a Private Folder. I think that the folder must exist when the policy is first applied. Also you may have to close Guarded Apps and re-open them. So if it doesn't appear to work at first glance, try:
    • Close Privacy Mode Guarded Apps.
    • Change Protection Level
    • Change level back.
    • Open Privacy Mode Guarded Apps.

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Anything interesting to report on this yet, Pete?

16. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion Barb_C, will do. But after settling with my printer (thanks pegr), there is no blocked event reported for now.

17. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Ok, i was reporting this value only because I tought you needed to build some kind of statistic from it.

18. Peter2150

Yeah, basically a big nothing. I got the sample from someone who is a virus tester. They told me it would set a registry key and connect to a server to set up for the encryption. They also said the server appeared to be down. I ran the thing and saw no internet connect attempt no alert from Appguard that it was trying to write to the registry. I did run it guarded.

To me it has always been a yawner, as Sandboxie is excellent protection and now Appguard privacy is equally great protection. Plus I image frequently and I have a cloud backup that runs every 5 minutes, so my data is well protected.

Pete

19. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Are you suggesting making the "My Documents" folder Private? If so, doesn't this restrict all access to it?

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

21. stackz

stackz Registered Member

The only restriction would be to guarded apps with privacy set to yes and any child processes of those applications.
    I only have privacy enabled for browsers and my email client.
    My Documents, various other folders and all non-system partitions are set as private. Setting non-system partitions as private, comes with the bonus that direct disk access to those partitions is blocked for applicable guarded apps/children.

22. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I am loving this new version, Definitely a keeper :thumb:

23. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I agree.
    Installed 4.0.17.0 over older version, Went extremely smoothly , and no problems with Sandboxie. :thumb:
    Thrilled to bits, thank you Blue Ridge :)

24. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

trialling the new version on windows 8.1 working great so far... is there a chance that I can get a single user license instead of 3 user license?

25. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

Guys,
    If an application is guarded, which is installed in user space, do I need to exclude this directory from User space tab as well ? I have dropbox guarded with privacy mode on, but I cannot open dropbox without having an exclusion in User space tab. I thought when an application is guarded I dont have to make any exclusions. Btw I have set AppGuard in locked down mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.