AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Does AG's eula make the above clear?

2. simmersK00L

simmersK00L Registered Member

I think I may stumble into that issue, although I think when I install AG it will be to the hardware box. Thanks, it's relevant but not directed at me.

3. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

I was only asking to find out if they do, perhaps they should make that clear on the download area...I assume they not harvesting info from "call homes" from peoples machines!

4. simmersK00L

Guest and Lockdown, thanks. Confused about the version. I was at a BRN website last night and downloaded pdf manual for 5.2 and setup for v.5.2.9.1.
    SHA256: 29e700c2b23e5d748898bc2ece928b3fce521a884234a0e540591c4c6954b696
    I think I have a licensed version of 4.x, but if 5.2 is official then I'm ok to pay to $29 yearly fee. It's been more than a year. my v4.x was recovered (I think) from 1st crashed hdd in 15 years. (got sloppy). I'm reading thru manual. I recall setting up exclusions for other security apps, but not called exclusions, IIRC. Once I get thru the manual, I'd like to start with default, no tweaking, and hope that it plays with kis_2017 which puts itself all over the system, but surprising lightly here. Hope to install tonight, please confirm if I have the right version. thanks.

5. simmersK00L

power application, yes that's it. IIRC my old version 4 license became "non-standard" when I either moved from 3 or put 4 on a new pc. BRN honored it ok, but the about / registration info was atypical and that annoyed me in a geek type of way. I have not been following the AG thread for some time, and I'm guessing my original license was not annual but something more, (notes indicate lifetime circa Jan 2012), but again, it's been more than a year not using AG so I'm ok getting a new license. I got sidetracked today so I still have some manual reading to do. I'd like to be "successful" with this install of AG, so want to know it more deeply than just throwing it on and hoping for the best. thanks!

PS I see I have a copy of AG 3.2.0.2 Dec 2011 along with my notes from 2012 to as late recent as Feb 2016. I recall AG installed 2 .ocx files in \windows & \system32. Somewhat stealthy placement and I assume for license monitoring purposes. Notes indicated that I had 4.1 installed for a year and it did not autoupdate to 4.3. I was given a reissued ID (license) but it did not work as advertised, I assume because BRN moved to an annual license. BRN "honored" it but it did not function in AG the way a new annual license does. I even have screen captures of About tab and the update tab showing "no updates available" when there was an update eg from 4.1 to 4.3.
    See a few more key notes I made: distinction between v4 & v5 is licensing mode but v4 may have more features... and respected member here suggested that there was a potential conflict with kis_2016 that I was running on my older hardware & XP (not my current hardware).
    I'm ok using a fresh start with v5 & new license, unless of course I'm the only one here using v5.

6. simmersK00L

thanks Robert good to know. The manual did say to disable av app in order to install AG. understandable...

7. guest

guest Guest

@simmersK00L if you have a valid working license for v4.4.1.6 , keep using it because at the moment (v4 =v5); no need buy the new one, however , when a new update of v5 will come, you will have to buy it .

your choice : buy now or later :D

8. simmersK00L

my reissued ID (license) from BRN was not updating v4, one reason I uninstalled 4.3 in feb_2016. My registered About tab did not match the way the tab looked in the v4 manual. (I still have the screen shots) Support was vague or evasive IMO about answering my direct questions about reissued license and failure to update. probably minor things but just slightly off center, seemingly more on BRN side than mine. Not trying to bad mouth BRN, but to me valid support questions were not being answered. v4416 & v5291 are not exactly equal, they have different hashes and file sizes. going over my 4 years of notes re AG, I'm now feeling no urgency to re-add it to my system(s). I can wait until BRN settles into their next v5 and annual license, and see how that shakes out, user opinions here. Appreciate your (& all) feedback and I'll monitor this forum more often.

9. guest

guest Guest

@simmersK00L

- so you have a license for what version exactly? if you bought it for v4 , it should work on any v4.x.x.x.x builds.
    - don't update via Gui. uninstall the version you are using and install v4.4.1.6 then insert ID + license.

10. simmersK00L

from my notes it looks like I originally installed a trial version of 3.2, then bought a lifetime license and shortly thereafter, AG went to 4.xx. Exactly where the license mishmash occurred unclear right now, but support later emailed me an ID with 7 numerical characters, and a password that contained 6 alpha numeric characters. My notes say that my original v3.2 lifetime key was 25 characters and my email address. When I installed 4.0x it did not find my license, and support emailed me a ID & password. However, my "re-issued" ID & pw were not allowing 4.xx to autoupdate, although support told me "just let it autoupdate." And my About tab did not display my registration in the same way as indicated in v4 manual. I recall this was "funky" because support asked me for info that was NOT displayed in my About tab. I recall emailing support screen shots since they seemed not to believe me circa Dec_2014. Maybe this is the way it's supposed to be? Just found it. I'm looking at page 33 of AG user guide dated Feb_2016. It shows "AppGuard" centered at the top and underneath it the version "4.3.13.1". Then "( Licensed Copy )" and below that the License ID blotted out. My AG was not autoupdating and my About tab had no version number, ie, would not, did not, display version no. even after I manually downloaded and updated. Go to your AG about tab, is the version number displayed? To me it seemed like my version/ID was "hobbled" by BRN along with autoupdating, and that along with other ongoing or potential conflicts, I stopped using AG Feb_2016. Hope you follow that, if not, maybe go PM.
    PS also see page 35 of the 5.2 user's guide, it clearly shows the version number in the about tab. I'd post my About tab screenshot, but I'd have to move it into the vbox, and right now there's no file share into the vbox.
    PS2 despite Robereyewhy using RevoPro to install AG successfully, support told me NOT to use Revo, although that was some time and some versions ago. fwiw.

11. guest

guest Guest

@simmersK00L there is my about tab (see screenshot)

just install v4.4.6.1 directly (uninstall previous version first) not via update, reboot , enter ID & pasword.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
  12. simmersK00L

thanks! your About matches manual samples. For clarity, AG has never been installed on this current hardware or VM. If I install it will go on hardware. For whatever reason, the version number was not being displayed in my About tab, and was also not autoupdating. This was 15 months ago, and Support answers were less than clear. They did not say, eg, just do a clean re-install of 4.3x and it will (should) display and autoupdate. From going thru my notes, I ran 4.0 / 4.1 for couple years, maybe 4 yrs. did not really pay attention that it was not autoupdating between 2014 & Feb 2016. I was ok with AG enough to ignore it, run and forget about it. I can try again with 4.4 just want to be sure that it is fully uninstallable, (and Support says not to use RevoPro) and that it will play well with KIS 2017. I have contradicting info so far about KIS. Now I know that when I install 4.4 with my re-issued license it should display the version number in About tab reference your your About tab, I'll have immediate confirmation if there's some "issue" if it does not, just as it did not 15 months ago with 4.3. I appreciate your feedback, and I'm not arguing or disagreeing with you. I'll make an image before I install it, knowing that I can go back if AG looks less than expected.

13. guest

guest Guest

@simmersK00L remember to uninstall Appguard online if you plan to reinstall it , if not , you will waste one activation.

14. simmersK00L

all seems PERFECTO! or rather good (slight downgrade). clean install on clean machine, revo pro was not used (but I otherwise took some precautions just in case...) install was smooth and easy. ID and password successfully activated. About tab also looks correct displaying the version number too. all settings default for the moment except added kis and vs to power apps. I'll finish reading thru the manual. But I'm seeing a couple initial questions as I see a few AG things I did not expect.

AG is installed on hardware machine only, NOT in the VM, but I just got AG popup of 83 suspicious whatevers blocked and gee they all relate to apps only running in VM, eg, cfw10 is only on VM but AG is alerting about what's going on in the VM :confused:, or perhaps some network activity is common to both hardware and VM. Yes almost all log alerts are coming from cfw, and cfw is only running in virtualbox.

and it looks like each user account has its own AG settings, eg, I added kis and vs to powerapps when I was admin user account and now back in sua and AG power apps is showing empty. Just (re)added kis & vs to power apps while in sua. (maybe I forgot to apply when I was admin?) so not sure I want AG to be affecting cfw in the VM which seems just happened, ie, blocked 83 suspicious ... how would I exclude cfw only on the VM using AG power app box which is only the hardware machine. o_O :confused::confused: I'll read some more, and better analyze the AG activity log. :cautious: wondering so do I add virtualbox as power app?? :doubt: maybe this is where all the unique customization comes in.

15. simmersK00L

CORRECTION, my bad! my eyesight is not so good. AG activity log showed comodo ... ... and only thing running was cfw in VM, but not exactly. Closer look at the log and AG alerted to killswitch. I had opened killswitch in the hardware machine and it currently runs from an atypical location. AG spotted this killswitch anomaly on the hardbox and was blocking and alerting. I just need to put killswitch where it needs to be. my other comment / questions may be valid. sorry about that. :oops:

16. Lockdown

Lockdown Registered Member

You do not need to add KIS and VS to the Power Apps list. The Power Apps list is to be used only when all other options fail to fix breakages.

Where are your virtual machines located on the system - C:\users\<user>\documents\virtual machines ? If they are located in User Space (Documents folder for example) or on a non-system drive (= User Space), then AppGuard will alert to and block activities within the virtual machine. This is expected behavior.

At default settings and configuration, AppGuard would not alert nor block anything associated with network activity.

This is correct. There are separate AppGuard policies for each User Account\Profile.

In the future, there will be a single policy applied for all User Accounts\Profile = "a single machine policy."

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  17. Lockdown

If you run KillSwitch from User Space, it is allowed to launch Guarded (because it is digitally signed by COMODO). The Guard protections will deny access to reading memory of other processes, writing to certain parts of the registry, etc - and you will see block events for KillSwitch in the Activity Report.

18. simmersK00L

all seems good and quiet in the hardbox with AG since I closed killswitch. Not 1 alert since I closed killswitch several hours ago, while I was stomping all over the place in VM. I'm sure AG was not reacting to killswitch the app but to its location \path in the hardbox. I'll move it soon. Meanwhile, I'll keep kis as power app until I get thru the AG manual. In the past, AG was working and I just forgot about it and didn't follow thru to understand it more deeply. I'll take the time to do that now. appreciate the help here, guest "pushing" me to just do it.
    PS must now ask, what's the downside of having kis as power app?

19. guest

guest Guest

everything KIS will do will not be "monitored" by AG , KIS has full access to everything, basically AG ignore KIS.
    It why it is recommended to put apps on Power Apps only in case of conflicts/incompatibilities...

20. simmersK00L

ok, ditto voodooshield too? do you have example of which apps to put into power apps? thanks! I'll will undo both in power apps, when I come back later today.!! :thumb:

21. guest

guest Guest

i added Sandboxie and rehips , those needs to be in power apps. In the past HMPA too, but it seems ok for now, no more conflicts.

22. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I haven't found that to be necessary ... in fact, I have nothing in Power Apps (primary machine).

Edit: Just c:\sandbox as exception in Guarded Apps. I also have included it in User Space but there seems to be differing opinions on this, discussed a number of times in this thread..

23. Lockdown

If malware attacked KIS itself, it could be a problem. This would be a highly unusual case.

The recommended best practice it to place a program into the Power Apps list only after all other steps have failed to resolve an issue.

KIS runs from System Space, so AppGuard does not interfere with it.

There is a browser extension that uses reg.exe. If you use that extension, then just change the setting for reg.exe in the User Space list to No. If you don't use that browser extension, then do nothing in AppGuard.

24. Lockdown

If you added C:\Sandbox to User Space, then everything that launches from C:\Sandbox launches Guarded, MemGuarded and Privacy mode enabled.

Would you please post an image of your Guarded Apps list ?

25. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Is this still required? 2017-06-01 .png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.